Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First it was my most awesome relaxing motorcycle ride I ever took home. 65 miles ride home.

I will list them via numbers.:?

1. The LED/ digitial dash does not light up that much. Normal or a light is out?

2. The gas gage goes to zero. A sending unit or a gas level indictor in the tank?

3.The radio some times works. Bad contacts? The controller on the handle bars, works but operates it differently.

a) Can I get a aftermarket radio that the handlebar controlls will still work?

b.) speakers for the back, where to get them (mounting) or make my own?

4. Is a there owners manual for this bike on CD, PDF? So Know how to operate the electronics.

5. Where to get Parts? Left mirror, windshild, lower engine body with driving lights cut outs, ARMREST FOR MY WIFE (MOST IMPORTANT THE MAIN REASON FOR GETTING THE BIKE FOR A COMFORTABLE RIDE FOR HER), Back speakers box/ mounting, trailer hitch,eventually a poorboy conversions where to buy it or make my own and how?

6. After market driving and / or fog lights.

7. No cruise control, just throttle lock (wore out). Is there a true cruise control for these bikes?

8. It sounds so different, and runs different than a in line four (750 NightHawk). Someone said that is normal. The wing is higher noise. etc.

9. What type of gas should use regular, medium, or high test?

10. CB is there, but where is the plug in connectors? and where to do you buy the head phone jacks?

11. Any other things I may have missed that I should know about, please inform me.

Thank you in advance.

The new proud owner of a 1984 1200 Aspacade.

My new continueing running project.

:waving:

Mechanics are all good. I have teh records from 1984 to present of what was done, such as oil change, tires, stator replacement, etc.

That is the main reason I bought it. But did does needTLC withother things. I am a happy owner....

PS. Igot adriver back rest and foot rest (on the engine guard) that come with the wing I have to install.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Lot of questions for one thread... this will go on for ever.... I'll just comment on a few..

3.The radio some times works. Bad contacts? The controller on the handle bars, works but operates it differently.

a) Can I get a aftermarket radio that the handlebar controlls will still work?

J&M have a CB and some older models had FM included. Choice is either fix this one (could be nothing but contacts or send it in to Sierra electronics for a tuneup) or an after market automotive or marine.. remote controls, yes but not handlebar controls.. Bluetooth enabled will give you phone and GPS/MP3 but it gets very expensive to wirelessly integrate the CB... my first try would be to see if you can get the stock unit up to par.

I thought the Aspencade came with speakers in the back.. anyway, guess you don't have them.. they can be bought ebay.. breakers.. or make you own.. best looking would probably be stock IMO.

4. Is a there owners manual for this bike on CD, PDF? So Know how to operate the electronics.

Yes and Yes... there are both Honda and aftrermarket manuals. Finding a CD or pdf will require some searching because the OEM manual is still available from Helm (the publisher for Honda) and it is not legal to sellunauthorized copiesbut there will likely be plenty of offers to provide you one.

5. Where to get Parts? Left mirror, windshild, lower engine body with driving lights cut outs, ARMREST FOR MY WIFE (MOST IMPORTANT THE MAIN REASON FOR GETTING THE BIKE FOR A COMFORTABLE RIDE FOR HER), Back speakers box/ mounting, trailer hitch,eventually a poorboy conversions where to buy it or make my own and how?

Probably ebay for used parts although there are other breakers (Old Bike Barn for example).. most parts are available new, many from still from Honda. Armrest will be aftermarket... I won't do the search ... but check wingstuff, cyclemax and a bunch of others..

7. No cruise control, just throttle lock (wore out). Is there a true cruise control for these bikes?

Yes.. there was a cruise control.. again ebay for OEM.. if you can find an Audiovox CCS-100 they can be readily adapted to the bike.. Also a Rostra electronic has been successfully added... Automotive cruises work finebut are not a plug and play.. it requires some work.

9. What type of gas should use regular, medium, or high test?

Regular unless you find it pings (probably won't).. in most cases it will not require anything more than the 87 octane..

Last but not least.. what do you know about themechanical condition of this bike.. meaning primarily timing belts, brakes, tires.. everything you mentioned is not related to safety or reliability... just creature comfort... I'd make my priority on the mechanical items before I tackled the cosmetic and comfort items.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Well, sandiegobrass didn't miss much, but I'll give it a go.

1. The LED/ digitial dash does not light up that much. Normal or a light is out?

2. The gas gage goes to zero. A sending unit or a gas level indictor in the tank?
1. Yeah, they're just not that bright, at least neither of mine were/are, but how bright is not bright? Maybe put up a pic of that one.

2. Pull the seat (two bolts on either side under the passenger seat then release the slide mechanism behind the fuel filler) and the tank is right there with the sending unit dead center. Both of mine (84 Aspy and 85 LTD) were pegged at zero with full tanks. I took them out and drowned them in contact cleaner and PB blaster, put 'em back in and haven't had a problem since.

3. b. My Aspy didn't come with them, but all the LTD's/SEI's did, so just look for a set of those on ebay, they bolt to the top of the trunk lid on either side of the passanger back rest.

Like sandiegobrass said, if you don't know for sure about the mechanicals you probably oughta pull the timing covers to check the belts and have a good root throught the brakes/tires/steering stem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
imported post

hey dan, congrats on the aspy.

if you find that you need lights for the display i have some somewhere. if you want to try to see if its the radio let me know, i have a good working radio and cassette player along with slide and amp

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

Sad it is a lot of your parts are going to be on eBay because Honda or someone hasn't reallized these bikes there people that love them and want to keep them running and could make money at it sell parts.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I may be wrong, but I think only the 87 came with electronic cruise.
My LTD's got it. I don't remember if my Aspy had it though (I only rode it twice :?), but I think it did.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Congrats on joining the Goldwing family !!! I agree that E Bay will probably be you best source ( it has for me ) for parts. I believe the CD a sent you has some audio/radio manuals on it.

Since i have an Interstate, advise on all the gadgets, i will have to leave to others.

Later Jim

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

here are a cpl manuals. Hope it helps... ps I edited the links so they only show what you see. Should be virus free. Don't know how the extra crap got into the link..

btw, to be safe, never click on the link, copy n oaste it into abrowser. This way, if the contents are different than the link visually shows, the link has been compromised.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xj18lh0a0dy36np Haynes GL1200 book pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/?pkvt7td6rh5i8suHonda GL1200 service manual

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

J&M makes the headsets for Honda. my local shop says the new ones are not compatible but J&M says they are. I had to take my bike in to prove it to them, so of course even though they are in stock i'll order them else ware.

http://www.jmcorp.com/index.htm

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

hey i had to replace all the dash lights on my 87 they just pop in the back. If you try to get the light bulbs from Honda they are $3 each. I looked all over and found them only stocked at a Checker/O Relly auto parts store and they were 2 for 3 bucks. They snap in hard but are bright and work well. I just can't remember the stock number (old age setting in). Take one with you to match them up. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

From on off the links on here, I got a virus....win 7 antivirus 2012. So beware of links that may have other stuff also. I have not yet to get it off my computer yet.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

According to the PO of mine it came with Cruise control. He removed it due to it not working correctly. He said he has it in attic but has yet to produce it. I would love to have it back so I could try and work the bugs out of it myself. Mine is a 84 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

floridamtbiker99 wrote:
From on off the links on here, I got a virus....win 7 antivirus 2012. So beware of links that may have other stuff also. I have not yet to get it off my computer yet.

Download a program call malwarebytes free version. Do a search on google and only download it from cnet. This will get to that virus.

The links I shared are mediafire links and are virus free.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

would some email the 1984 goldwing PDF Haynes GL book and Honda GL 1200 service manual in the PDF format.

My email asddress [email protected]

Thank you in advance.

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.