Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I amconsideringbuying a Goldwing. My wife and I are doing alot more long distance riding. Ihavebeen toldthe Goldwing is the ultimate touring bike. I have been riding for many years and currently riding a Harley. As we all know it isonly a matter of time before you drop yourbike.My current Harley weighs about 800lbs.I am 57 ys old, 5'9' tall and weight about 175 and I have managed picking up my Harley. I have droped it 3 times and needed help only oncebecause it washeavy side down on a steep hill. Sincea Goldwing 1800 tips the scales at 900+ lbs depending on options, I was wondering how easy is it to pick up if droped?Thesaleman said it was easy but he has never owned a Goldwing or seen it done.He also said there is video of it on Youtube, but I cound not find it. I helped a Goldwing owner about 10+ years ago pick one up and it took 3 of us.Sodifficult is it?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

hey thats a great lil video...i have dropped my 83 once and managed to pick it up myself. i didnt have alot of weight on it though and i was on level ground but it was in gravel. just be careful. if your anything like me the back is a fragile thing:(

welcome to the forums

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I can't say about the 1800 but at 5'-0 and 185 my 1200 is a PITA.

With the engine guards and saddle bag guards the bike has only gone to the handle bars twice. Most times it's at a 45 degree angle and I've managed it myself.

Both times it went to the handle bars it broke off a mirror and I had to have help.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get that Goldwing and enjoy some of the best touring you can imagine.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Math1,

Welcome to a great forum. If you like to do distance this is the bike. It's like sitting on your soffa at home, or in a nice convertable 4 wheeler. The weight facter is that a Goldwing is nicely balanced, meaning that most of the weight is at the bottom. Your gas tank is as low as it can get under the seat. The more you ride the better you like it. As you know, the more you know your bike the less you have to be concerned about. Just gas it and ride. Now that means you still have to keep up the general maintance though. As far as lifting it up on your own, there is a way you can do it. I've gone down and before I knew it I had people coming to help if your not out in the boonies by yourself. You know what I mean. I'm only 5'9" & 195 lbs, and 71 and have picked mine up the proper way of course. Now my bike is a 1200 and it is a bit over 800 lbs with all the stuff on it. I don't know if there is anything on this forum showing you how. I know that the GWRRA club has a diagram on this. You might want to check out there site also to see if you can get the page without being a member. I hope this helps and let us knowwhat you found if any. Wishing you and your Family all the best in the New Year and stay healthy. Doug. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the link to Youtube. This is the method I had learned for picking up my Harley. I just wanted to see it done on a Goldwing. In the video the bike was not horizontal, but more like a 45 degree angle. Is this the farthest a Goldwing can go over. Has anyone ever had one go horizontal? That is what I remember happened to the one I helped pick up many years ago?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The crash guards will stop the bike from lying flat.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome Math1 to the Forum from the State of Confusion......Kansas! :waving:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Although I have not had my wing in a horizontal dropped position, I would imagine because of the weight distribution that the fix from that position would only be a second step involving getting it from the horizontal to the 45 degree. With the lower level of weight distribution, the bike can be (in most instances) easily rolled to the 45 degree position. From there, the video shown lift can be used. I lifted mine like that even with a strained shoulder and a sprained right ankle. It require only the use of your legs from a sitting position. Even the sprain on my ankle allowed me to apply the require pressure. I too am a long time bike rider and finally went to the goldwing. Best move I ever made as nothing (including the Harleys) I have ridden compare in comfort with the wing. I wish I had done it 30 years ago, but being on a bike of any kind provides a unique experience that only those of us that ride can appreciate. Good luck finding the appropriate wing and welcome to the forum. v_man_1

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The 1800 is very easy to pick back up after an unplanned tip over. Much easier than other bikes, it simply has a low center of balance due to the way the motor is hung in the frame. It picks up very easy.

If you do happen to tip it over you will not gain damage to the bike either, as the engine and crash bars will just stop the bike and it will just lay on them, it is not going on over like the Hardleys do sometimes, so damaged grips and fenders and that kind of thing will not happen. A highway peg can be damaged sometimes, just depends but most of the time they simply rotate on the bar.

It is much easier to put on the center stand than other bikes too. Some of the older bikes are quite the challenge for that.

Kit

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. The video was close to right on for the technique. Main thing that you want to make sure of is that the grip on the fallen side is pulled as close to the gas tank as possible and that you have a firm grip on the passenger hand hold. Make sure that you lift with your legs, not your back, and as you lift, you push against the bike while backing against bike. You want to get your stand down as soon as possible without overlifting and dropping it on the other side if the left side is down. I had an '04 that my passenger jerked down(thought she knew how to get on) and had no trouble getting it back upright. I'm same height and weight but 65 yoa and have no trouble. NEVER try picking up the bike while facing it 'cause you'll need an ambulance and a straight board. Best of luck. I've owned a few HD and a couple GW and now am proud owner of 2008 GW1800.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
The crash guards will stop the bike from lying flat.
Not always! I've had my 1500 down all the way with a mirror on the ground. Once was when a piece of pavement broke under the side stand and once when I stopped in gravel and the bike was facing down hill a bit. I wasn't careful enough and the side stand folded as the bike rolled a bit forward. Both times down flat on the ground. The butt first lifting technique works from there too but takes a bit more effort. I'm5' 11"and about 170lbs and worn down by 66 years of physical erosion so it doesn't take a man mountain to set 'em back up.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Popeye, i was about to point that post to this new fella. those vids are great. after watching them i went out and tried them myself. and it is really easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.