Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am picking up my GL1100 2moro. What sort of things should I focus on first to "make her roadworthy"?

I am thinking the timing belt, oil (seafoam first), basic battery charging. What else are you all thinking?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It ran about 8mths - 12mths ago last season. I checked the oil today and the oil was "perfect".

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

First off change the brake fluid. Then oil in forks.Do not forget the tires.Sounds like it will be easy to get it back roadworthy fast.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

forgot to mention that the bike has like 20k or 25k miles on it only!!!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Check the age of the tires, mileage is only one component of tire life. Brakes are a definate issue on these bikes, Changing the fluid will help keep them working. My pet issue is coolant. I've got 2 1100's both with around 50k miles, both with bad water pumps. Drain and flush the antifreeze with the timing belt change. You can also replace the thermostat, and pull the waterpump cover (where the lower rad. hose connects) to check the pump. It should have very little play side to side or in / out, and only turn slightly. Like I said, this is my pet issue!!!

Good luck, and enjoy!
Todd

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Go fluid shopping,get some seafoam in that old oil before you put the new oil in, and enjoy! My first wing was a "neckid" 1100. I loved that bike! jimsjinx

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

2 words TIMING BELTS

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Hi frook,
Congrat's on the GL1100, very nice bike, but of course I'm a little bit biased, ha!
I can tell you all the things I've done to my Dad's '81 Goldwing when he gave to me last year.

1)I took it to a licensed mechanic and him rebuild the carbs and do a thorough inspection of all systems. Also had him rebuild/refurbish the front and rear brakes. Then I drove it for a season and had a great time.

2)Right now I am in the middle of replacing the timing belts, water pump, exhaust pipes and tires. I will also be replacing all the fluids (coolant, oil, brake fluid, rear drive case oil) and greasing the final drive gears.

Do a search for 'How to' articles by GSMacLean at this site. They are the best with fantastic detail and photographs of work he has done on his GL1100.

Good luck with your project,
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.