Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I shouldn't have, these two are pretty far down the road to the junk yard. It looks like I can get pretty much most of one bike from the two. I'm going to have to strip both down to the frames though. One bike has a frozen motor but the one with the head off turns over and looks pretty good. I got a couple of nice pieces with them, a newish Corbin seat and a nice windshield. There is going to be some eBay hunting to complete the job though but it doesn't matter too much this isn't going to be a quick project. Specially when I'm still hunting pieces for the hangar queen 1100 in the pursuit to make it a naked 'Wing. The shop is filling up with bikes, It was nice when I had it down to one in there. But I just can't resist what looks like a bargain, my eBay auction on the Clarion II stuff that came out of the queen looks like it's going to pay most of the cost of buying the two 1100s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Paul you need a couple of scrap 1800s now. Maybe you can put the headlights from the 1800 onto the 1100. :dude:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You have a bit of a 'passion', there do youPaul? :shock: :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Nice that someone saves some of these great old bikes from becoming 'crush' and returns them to the road and a new owner! :clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Paul you need a couple of scrap 1800s now. Maybe you can put the headlights from the 1800 onto the 1100. :dude:
:doh:and ruin a classic!!!:cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Salvaging old vehicles has always been an uncomfortable thing with me. It's the only supply of parts for many and keep others going but each time there's one less of them. Old airplanes, bikes and cars, the ones I love but can't afford becoming few every day is kind of sad. I always covet some of the beautiful restorations I see, I don't have the skills or money to do one of those wonderful museum type restorations like Randakk or others but I sure like seeing them. With luck one or two of these now in the shop will return in decent, but not perfect condition. Not much money in doing this so it's mostly just for the pleasure of accomplishment. I figured out the last bike I sold paid less than a dollar an hour for the work after all the costs were figured in. Oh well, that's better than the five dollars an hour it COST me to restore the old 1946 Commonwealth Skyranger a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

GL1000-1100s are like CB750s; they made a zillion of them. A few missing GLsfor parts won't matter.

My problem is that I bought two GL1100s off craigslist that were too good to part. So, I fixed one and the other awaits my decision. 100% restoration is not a good option. Get 'em running and cleaned up, ride 'em. If you spend too much time and money on these jewels, you will find that they are never worth more than the $5000 (tops) mint low milageGL1100 you can buy any day. Unfortunately.

My 1982 Aspencade is happy that another GL1100 died, so that it could have better chrome. Kinda likea GL organ doner program!

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul,

If you end up with an extra set of working front calipers off one of those 1000'slet me know.

Also what parts do you need for the 1100, If I have anything you need yer welcome to it.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The shop is filling up with bikes, It was nice when I had it down to one in there.
Man...if we were anything that even resembled "neighbors"...I'd be hangin' around your place all the time!!! Washin' parts, tuning spokes, changing tires...eventually, you'd trust me with the trickier stuff, too!! :3sum: :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Broke Winger - If I part one instead of rebuilding it I'll let you know but it will be some months before I make a decision on that one, I've got to get the 1100 and the other 1000 shaped up.

Fenderhead - I only wish I had some forum members living closer to assist or instruct me. I have the space and tools and a fair knowledge of the subject. It would be nice to have another 'Wing fool' around that lived close by. It would be just enough to get a bit more official about running a little business doing repairs and maintenance work on pre-2001 'Wings.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

exavid, you need to move to North Carolina. I'll be looking for one of those to start on next. For me, it's not about what you can get out of them, other than pride and satisfation. Good luck with them! Paul

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

You're welcome any time! I'll be South in Medford until Sunday, grandma has to see the grandkids and I want to see them and Oregonwinger's new baby too.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

P Yanney wrote:
exavid, you need to move to North Carolina. I'll be looking for one of those to start on next. For me, it's not about what you can get out of them, other than pride and satisfation. Good luck with them! Paul
Come on down to Charleston, got a 1000, pretty much all there, good title, motor stuck...save it from the scrapyard, make a reasonable offer.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote, my wife's son lives in South Charleston about 3 hours from here and I have a Ford Ranger. Do you have any pics of the bike?:cooler:Got any idea what you need for it?You can pm me. thanks,Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.