Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone, here is a link just copy and paste it for some pics of my Interstate 1986. http://web.mac.com/bryansteele/Site/Photos.html I just got the bike last week as many of you know. So far i have cleaned every inch of the bike, engine and all including underside etc. it came out great and im happy with the results. then i mentioned a few posts back that i bought it with a carb problem along with other needs. I was told and it shows 21000 miles. i got it from the second owner who rode it twice and let it sit 7 months or more. The carb problem was actually a hung up throttle cable. I fixed it and it started right up. To get it on the road and in good shape with alot of advice from some you guys i purchased the following parts and am in the process of doing all of them and a few done at a shop. New oil,air,fuel filters.new oil,new brake and clutch fluids,final drive fluids,coolant flush,seafoam treatment to gas and carbs,spark plugs,belts,fork seals and a new set of Dunlop E3's. What a list but i want it to be a good solid bike. The bike has new speakers but no radio. can i put a aftermarket radio in it? Im no tech by any means but i can fight through the simple stuff and learn as i go. let me know what im forgetting if anything. thanks, Bryan S :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like you are heading in the right direction. you might want to check to see if the stator wires have been cut and resoldered, they overheat bad on the 1200's from what I hear on here.

Great looking bike by the way:cool:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I have never seen those riding boards before but they look like they will work well with the heel lock. Your bike is amazing! the only thing I dont see on the list that I would look closely at is fuel line condition, (cracking) & clean connections on all main power from battery to starter & regulator. i would buy that bike without hesitation just on it's looks.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, guys i will check the yellow wire connector deal, i read on hear about tying them together? also i will check the fuel lines etc thats a good thought. Bryan

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You cut the connector right off of the 3 yellow wires. You sodder 3 yellow to 3 yellow. the order does not matter. Before you sodder, you slide shrink tube onto the wire & away from the work area so you do not heat it. You might have to splice in extensions to make up for the length of the plug. Make sure that the wire splice is as thick as the wire you are working with. when your soddered up, slide the shrink tube over your work area & heat it up gently so it tightens around your sodder joints.

than you should take the bike for a 600 mile test run! your wife should be understanding of this because it's important!:littleangel:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Nice looking ride, Bryan. I can only see 2 pictures in Firefox, but when I use I.E., I see all five.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hatchetman, is the three yellows comming from the battery harness? i will do the yellow fix this week. thanks. Bryan

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

those 3 yellow wires come from your stator near your left heel or riding peg at the left rear of the motor. they travel up and to the left side of your battery where the plug is located. from there they go to your reg/rectifier.

Your stator works on a shunt system. the stator pumps max power all the time. when no power is needed, it gets sent to ground which produces heat. The plug beside your battery is the weakest link & is notorious for burning which causes a bad connection & than, no power.

if your stator should ever fail, you should consider installing a poor boy kit. It is easier, Cheaper & more reliable!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on a beautiful 1200, Bryan !!

:12red::cool::12red::cool::12red::cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.