Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the pictures we add to our posts being shrunk down now?

I have posted a few pictures / diagrams lately that have come up in the posts way smaller and much grainier, loosing detail.

Have I been abusing something?? :surprise:

Tim

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
The manage attachments is messing up IMO.

I nearly always upload my pix to my Album, then I open the thumbnail so that it displays full screen.

Then you can either refer to it as a link for super hi-res triple screen size, or let the Landscape icon display it as 800x600

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That should really be looked into by the tech guys.

People post pictures, diagrams and such to help others out. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words. Small pictures are worth about 5 to 12.

We're trying to build an archive here!

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Photo bucket works well as long as you pay your bills, stay alive, or choose not to delete or move the the photos or the hosting company does not change anything.

How many times have you come across a link in a post that is dead? It may have been the definitive answer to your question or problem.

What I am talking about is a having my (and yours) work being preserved as an archive for others long after I die next year from "the big one". I want to be able to help others after I am gone or finally crack and move deep into the woods ditching all my digital existence. :smile2:

Tim

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Photo-bucket does it well
If you look through old threads you'll find hundreds maybe thousands of dead Photo-bucket links.
The original posters have moved, renamed, deleted etc the pictures from Photo-bucket.

That shouldn't happen if the picture is uploaded to the forum server using "Manage Attachments".

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
I have 4 PhotoBucket accounts.

I quit using them for the Forum simply because too many broken links were occurring.

I now only host to the forum via "manage attachment"
or direct upload to Albums which gives the largest possible picture "that can be hosted on this forum's server software".

I would really like for the Album pictures to display full page like the one above with the street sign :)

I will work with the IT staff to try and get the Manage Attachments to support full size displays. Currently, as we all can see, even if we upload a 1920x1280 it only displays back as a 600x400... which is awful.

This picture is in my album, if you click on the link direct, it is much larger than my 24" monitor screen, I have to scroll to see it all.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/members/90947-azgl1800-albums-gl1800-big-bird-picture51201-1800-rear-tire-change.jpg

however, if that same link is passed to the Landscape Icon, the result is the image you see below this sentence.

Here, I am going to use the "Insert URL Link" icon and see what happens.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/members/90947-azgl1800-albums-gl1800-big-bird-picture51201-1800-rear-tire-change.jpg

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
I just use the drag & drop function, of course they show up as thumbnails but you click on it and it's full size. I do have to resize most pics down to about 1350x10?? whatever it is.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
Dave, it looks like your picture suffered the same thing Tim is talking about.:surprise:
Sure nuff, maybe I sized it too small. Try again.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
Dave, go to Albums and create an album, upload the picture there,
you can upload huge pictures there.
Seems like they were OK until someone mentioned it. I like the D&D, it's so much easier.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Dave, go to Albums and create an album, upload the picture there,
you can upload huge pictures there.
That can present the same problems as Photo-bucket.
If the poster rearranges his Albums or deletes something you end up with invalid links.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the D and D method is best too.

Any of the pictures I upload are in the 1024 by XXXX format. I resize them before uploading to be a max of 1024 wide and what ever in length to preserve the aspect ratio.

Tim

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Ken,
It is impossible to idiot proof pictures, unless everything is uploaded to each post thru Attachment Manager, and I detest that mode of displaying pictures.

they are too small.... way too small, I am going to see if I can get Jeff, and company to do something about that.

I still prefer Albums in spite of your concerns....
all anyone has to do, is upload a picture there, and leave it alone.
I try to enforce that thought for folks, Albums are intended for Permanent Storage on the Forum's Server so that don't ever get lost.

Pictures uploaded to Albums only have to be uploaded ONCE....
then all you have to do, is link to that picture, just as often as you wish.

in Attachments, that same picture has to be upload thousands of times....
to me, that in terribly inefficient of forum space.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Ken,
It is impossible to idiot proof pictures, unless everything is uploaded to each post thru Attachment Manager, and I detest that mode of displaying pictures.
What I sometimes do is upload using "Manage Attachments", go to preview and then click on the thumbnail.
I then have the URL of the full size picture which I can paste into the post.
I know it's not efficient and that there should be an easier way but.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.