Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those which havent seen the beast, here are pictures of a 1984 Aspencade stator and rear engine. 24000 miles on the engine. Not a happy affair, especially considering the 4hours needed to fix it.

But!! We have found the cause :cool::cool::clapper:I won't say what the cause is but can say:

"Keep the engine temps down, oil changed at 2000 mile intervals, keep it a little overfilled on motor oil and flush it regularly!!"

As was expected, its not actually the stators fault, nor is it really Hondas fault. Its not anyones "fault" - it just happened.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/statorpix/stator.html

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Sahme with so low a mileage. By the look of the oil that came out of the engine I'd imagine that the oil wasn't changed all that often.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

When you consider that old motor oil contains tiny particles (less than .5 microns)of metaland that the rotor is a big magnet it becomes easy to understand why changing the oil and filter is so important to the life of the stator.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Had Honda built these charging units with a commutator and brushes there would have been a lot less fried stators.

Vic
Dunno, alternators are usually a hell of a lot longer lasting and more efficient. The problem here would be worse if you had an underpowered generator. I remember a couple of my old cars throwing solder out of the commutator. Also truing and undercutting a commutator ain't a lot of fun either. Nope, getting rid of brushes or at least trading commutators for slip rings is more betta.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.