Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On our trip to pikes peak we dropped the trailer at the entrance. After a couple of miles my 02' started to get a little warm so I pulled to the side, this happened a couple of times. At the "half way" point, the little store they have before the brake check point we pulled in to geta drink. When we returned to the bike my SO said she smelled fuel so I opened the gas tank and the gas was at a rolling boil. Now I'm not talking a little bubbling, I'm talking like hard boiled eggs boiling. Needless to say I let it cool for quite awhile and decided not finish the trip to the top. And after a total of 4581 miles that is the only time that happened.

So, is it the 02's? Was it the altitude?

Many other motorcycle's including goldwings were coming and going with no problem. I also checked the cooling system before and after the trip so I don't think it was that.

·
Administrator
24,645 Posts
imported post

Altitude, Gas will boil very easily at sea level if it's hot enough, when you get that high it boils a lot easier. It probably wasn't boiling before you took the cap off but when you let the pressure off it boiled.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

It's been mentioned on here before that lower octane gas is best for high altitude riding. What octane have you been putting in it?

·
Administrator
24,645 Posts
imported post

They would have too if they had taken the gas cap off.

·
Administrator
24,645 Posts
imported post

OOPS!!! doudle post, again. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Sorry that you and the bikedidn't make it to the top. It is an experience that I won't ever forget on my 1100. They made us leave the trailers at the bottom also. Were you able to take the tram to the top? Seriously though, that gravel road near the top kept my attention all the way up and all the way down until we hit asphalt again. I was glad to not have the trailer attached. I didn't notice any fuel or cooling problems. The fan was on a lot but within normal operation. We sure did notice a drop in power .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.