Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wondering, how many have ridden their bike to the top of Pikes Peak and what kind of experience is it?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have driven to the top in a car. I would never take a street bike up there. The top half was damp gravel roads with plenty of sharp turns and NO guardrails!

John

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I took my 1800 up there this past July. Excellent trip - fully recommend to any experienced rider. There is about 4 miles of gravel - hard pack at the top, but can be rode with any bike. Breathtaking views - it was on my bucket list. Totally enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

They must have really improved the road. In 1996 they charged a $5 toll to drive beyond Santa's Wonderland (I think that's what its called). The toll was to help maintain the gravel road. Back then, they claimed the weather was too extreme to hard surface the gravel part.

John

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Great ride, like any mountain road don't out ride the road or your ability [not judging just saying] there's gravel not good when wet.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I would think the road would be dryer later int he summer as the afternoon rains subside a bit before going into fall. The area is subject to rain about mid afternoon (2:00 pm) so keep that in mind. The gravel should not be too bad and would be well worth the ride. If you want a road that is paved to 13,000 feet try Mount Evans.

for my small ride report on Mount Evans see Mount Evans

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all who have replied. I sent an Email off to the contact person for Pikes Peak, inquiring as to road conditions and this was the reply. Maybe add it to your list of must do/want to do rides. Lew Wilkie (wilkoi)

Hello Lew,
Motorcycles are allowed on the road. Currently there are 3 miles of the 19 miles unpaved. This is between 10-13 mile of the highway and the rest is paved. The road is very hard packed and cared for. We get lots of visitors riding their motorcycles and have had no major concerns or complaints. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and thank you for your interest in Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain.

Sandy Elliott, CPPB
Senior Analyst
Pikes Peak-America's Mountain
Cascade, CO. 80909
Tel: 719-385-7705
Fax: 719-684-0942
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Sounds like they have improved the road a lot in recent years. One other work of caution, the high altitude can make you light headed and short of breath and give you headaches.

Don't forget the camera!

John

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've been up it on a Harley Sportster, and a GW1100I. The 1100 handled it better, more power. Some day, hope to take the 1800 up there.:clapper:

Gene:byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Here is mine at the top.... as you can see, these do ok on the road.... just get real dirty..

They do NOT allow you to bring your trailer up the road ...... forced to leave it behind in the parking lot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Yep, took the 1800 up there last summer. Had three wings in the group, all 1800's. They were all redline temp by the top, just going so slow couldn't get much air. No problems though. Best part was coming down, got to enjoy the scenery alot more than going up ( had to concentrate more going up ). Enjoy the trip. Keep in mind your clothing, it was 73 degrees at the bottom, and 29 at the top.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I am going to chime in here. For those that have been to Pikes Peak, next time try
Mount Evans. Its almost as high and it boasts a paved road all the way to the peak.
Also I will say after visiting Mount Evans it makes Pikes Peak look like a construction area. There is pristine wilderness around it. You will be greeted by elk, deer, mountain
sheep and goats, and we saw a wolf my last trip this past July. In fact mountain goats live in and around the parking lot and observatory and are quite used to visitors. Mount Evans is on record as the highest paved road in the United States. The road to the top
is narrow even though paved, no guard rails. I thought I wanted to ride up on my 1500 and I have been up there twice now. For me I have no desire to ever ride up there, but did drive up in our suburban this last trip. Once we got to the top a couple had ridden
their Gl1500 w/trailer up there. The paved road has JUST enough room for two vehicles to pass nothing more. Its not for the faint of heart believe me.
Oh yeah, Mount Evans is west of Denver off I-70 and about 15 miles or so South of Idaho Springs.
Ok, sorry to hijack this thread.
David

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Tex wrote:
Yep, took the 1800 up there last summer. Had three wings in the group, all 1800's. They were all redline temp by the top, just going so slow couldn't get much air. No problems though. Best part was coming down, got to enjoy the scenery alot more than going up ( had to concentrate more going up ). Enjoy the trip. Keep in mind your clothing, it was 73 degrees at the bottom, and 29 at the top.
I just did MT. Washington a few weeks ago, now it looks like The Peak might be next year.

Thanks for starting this thread and contributing.

Oh, forgot overheating tendencies due to slow pokes on Washington with one up as well.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
I am going to chime in here. For those that have been to Pikes Peak, next time try
Mount Evans. Its almost as high and it boasts a paved road all the way to the peak.
Also I will say after visiting Mount Evans it makes Pikes Peak look like a construction area. There is pristine wilderness around it. You will be greeted by elk, deer, mountain
sheep and goats, and we saw a wolf my last trip this past July. In fact mountain goats live in and around the parking lot and observatory and are quite used to visitors. Mount Evans is on record as the highest paved road in the United States. The road to the top
is narrow even though paved, no guard rails. I thought I wanted to ride up on my 1500 and I have been up there twice now. For me I have no desire to ever ride up there, but did drive up in our suburban this last trip. Once we got to the top a couple had ridden
their Gl1500 w/trailer up there. The paved road has JUST enough room for two vehicles to pass nothing more. Its not for the faint of heart believe me.
Oh yeah, Mount Evans is west of Denver off I-70 and about 15 miles or so South of Idaho Springs.
Ok, sorry to hijack this thread.
David
Pesky goats :cheeky1:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Definitely should be on the "to do" list to get the photo-op at the top of Pike's Peak. Bike running temps do get a little warm, mostly from the load at slow speeds, and the thought of watching your wardrobe is quite relevant (though I recommend layers, or the potential to layer at all times).

Mt.Evans is a nice ride and really is as TXRLGL1500 describes - it's a nice alpine road all the way to the top. Best to sit on the bike a bit once you stop and catch your breath before getting your photo ;) We were just up that way this weekend; not horrible at all - the Aspen trees were in their fine fall colors at 70*F and full sun.

If you have the time, adding a run up to US34 (Trial Ridge Road) provides another one-off experience - 11-full miles above timberline on the highest continually paved highway in the USA (Mt Evans to Trail Ridge is an easy and beautiful ride)

:readit:look me up when you do, I'm about 40-miles off of Mt.Evans, and can always use an excuse to "commute the long way" to work.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Rode it and loved it. Just ride your ride.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

This is wilkoi, there has been no hijacking. I started this post, inquiring about climbing a mountain by motorcycle. It happened to be Pikes Peak.

All replies are welcome, in fact encouraged. Passing on information regarding the topic is a good thing.

We are, after all, lovers of the 2 wheel motor craft. That's good enough for me. Ride long and often.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Update on Mount Evans. After going to web site and calling the ranger station there this is what I learned.

Sept 7, 2010 — The top 5 miles closed on Sept 7, 2010.

The first 10 miles will close at 7 am on October 4, 2010 unless closed sooner by weather (snow).

Some other time perhaps.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

That's it ...... i'm going.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.