Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently had to pull my carbs for an external fuel leak at the float bowl seal. During diagnosis one carb was running a little lean at idle and would need a pilot screw (mixture) adjustment. These carbs are pre-set with a limiter cap allowing no further richening of the idle circuit.

Removal of the limiter cap on the pilot screw is what is recommended. This can lead to damage of the screw itself. After which you might be confronted with a head design which takes a Honda only tool to manipulate (Left-Right) turning.

The original limiter cap is slotted for a regular screwdriver. Removal of the stationary limiter screw boss will allow full adjustment with a standard tool everyone has at their garage (slotted screwdriver).

There is a boss on the float bowl cover which restricts the limiter cap. Remove the boss and have full access to carb adjustments with the limiter cap untouched.

Float bowl cover with boss removed left lower. I used a carbide burr in my die grinder.

This is after boss removal and assembled.

JD

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I hope it's not too late to add... that painting the head of that screw with a bright colored paint (I use yellow) will help you find it when reaching in from the front...

Nice work -- I've gone the other route and ground the 'flag' off of the screw itself -- I think that your solution is far more graceful JD. You could even use the flag there as an indicator of how far you've trimmed the mixture (easy to "see" a 1/4-turn!).

Nicely done.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you. The one thing I did not want to happen was to remove the cap and have to find-buy another tool. Still not sure what kind of head is under the cap but do know the manufacturers often used proprietary designs on their emission components to prevent tampering. The actual grinding of the boss took all of about thirty seconds per side.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Thank you. The one thing I did not want to happen was to remove the cap and have to find-buy another tool. Still not sure what kind of head is under the cap but do know the manufacturers often used proprietary designs on their emission components to prevent tampering. The actual grinding of the boss took all of about thirty seconds per side.:)

JD
JD, under the cap with the common screwdriver slot is a smaller screwdriver slot. I was going to use the 'D' style that came in my kit, but I did not want to make or buy a tool.

I was able to pop off both caps on mine without taking the carb.s fully off the bike, but later took them off anyway to change the jets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.