Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding my carbs on a 1980 gl 1100. I got new pilot screws . book says to screw in till it lightly seats? Do you compress the,spring then back of 1 1/4 turns. Or just till ya fell it tension the spring. Just not sure how to set

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Screw it in until you feel in tension just a bit,then back off from there

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
"Seats" generally means screwed in so the shoulder is mated, whether that be a shoulder before or after the threads?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The screw will seat long before the spring coil binds. You will feel it.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok new pilot screws... Got it all adjusted and back in , still won't idle at all. Seems better. But,pipimg and,missing a,little randomly

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
When "rebuilding" the carbs what kind of parts did you use and are you absolutely sure you got ALL the passages clean & the floats set properly?
You can edit your posts.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im blew carb cleaner through everthing i could, even used a small wire in ports. And as far as the parts i used i got most off ebay, starting to think the wrong ones . they all looked nice compared to the original stuff. It seemed better the last try, but its aways the same just wont idle even after babying it and warming it up

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
If you replaced the jets with aftermarket you made a mistake. You could try opening up the mixture screws some.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok .so do i buy differen jetts ? And from jetts you mean pilot screws? Sorry still learning lingo. And thanks For the edit tip

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
No, the pilot screws are not jets, OK to use aftermarket for those. The jets are inside the carb bowls, the main jet is screwed in and the pilot jet is pressed in. If you didn't have an experience getting the pilot jets out to clean them then they are most likely still blocked.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Nothin i see in book on pressing out pilot jets. The main needle jet i can get open amd clean. The pilot screw port , im asuming? Has the pilot jet? The hole doesnt go thru how do i press anything out? I hope im not being a dork or missing something obvious. Haha

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
Ok. Nothin i see in book on pressing out pilot jets. The main needle jet i can get open amd clean. The pilot screw port , im asuming? Has the pilot jet? The hole doesnt go thru how do i press anything out? I hope im not being a dork or missing something obvious. Haha
You don't press them out, they are pressed in, you may have to pull them out. In the hole next to the main jet tower in the bottom of the carb is the pilot (idle) jet. If you can get air through it with it in place that is good but if not they can be removed either with a sharp pointed sheet metal screw or a small easy out. That passage goes through to the pilot screw. I should warn you that carb cleaner can get to the air cut off diaphragms through that port and will ruin them. Thsi should help;

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok cool, i swear this carb thing has alot to learn. I swear some of this not really coverd in my manual. I definetly never cleaned those ports out. I saw down in it but didnt know what to do or if i needed to. And i cant get carb cleaner through the first one i tried. I brang home my easy outs. I will try air through it also i have a compressor. Thnaks for all your tips its a big help. Will let ya know how it goes.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
It's a mistake a lot of people make, you wouldn't be the first & won't the last to have to pull them more than once.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok just to be sure the tower next to the main jet... Screw Cap on uper tower is main jet . The one below it is idle jet
0915201705.jpg
? Ive used an easy out , pulled and turned upward. Even tried a sheet metal screw as you suggested. No movement. Any sugestions and heres a picture to verify

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
They have always came out for me with a screw & gripping it with side cutters using the main jet as a fulcrum.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thought about that for some leverage to pop it loose, they seem tight. But wasnt sure if that was kosher . ill try it

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok triedbthe side cutters on the one tower like ya said. Worked on all 4 ......better leverage that way. Now do i need new idle jets or clean em? And i cant get a wire , carb cleaner , ir air through one so far

1 - 20 of 30 Posts