Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And thanxs for all your help, i finnaly feel like im getting somewhere and wouldnt have done it with the book alone.

·
Administrator
26,005 Posts
Yes, air should go through them lengthwise as well as through the holes in the side. The hole is very tiny, about .012", I usually pull a strand from a wire brush to push through them. Make sure the passage is clear also, to the mixture screw and the holes under the throttle plate. Another one people miss is the one from the main jet tower to the top of the carb under the slide, under the kidney shaped plastic piece is an air jet. Then pay close attention to the float setting in the tutorial I posted.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok got em out, cleaned em out with wire etc. Just wondering, when i used the small sheet metal screw to pull em out it roughed up the top bigger hole some. I used a small roumd needle file to clean em up. Will that mess with the fuel action? Or should they be fine.

·
Administrator
26,005 Posts
Ok got em out, cleaned em out with wire etc. Just wondering, when i used the small sheet metal screw to pull em out it roughed up the top bigger hole some. I used a small roumd needle file to clean em up. Will that mess with the fuel action? Or should they be fine.
They will be fine, the actual jet is way down inside.

Reactions: Rossco123

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok got em all cleaned. I found 3 pluged ports when i checked the air port under the kidney shaped plastic piece you sugested checking. So! Now if i put the idle jets back in , i figure just re seat them in the same hole withba pin puch or drift of the correct size till it bottoms out. Then i should be able to reasemble. After seting the floats again. Where do i find the tutorial on float setting. You posted? Sorry im learning getting to stuff here still. Im pretty sure i got every dam thing cleaned out now! Fingers crossed. The idle jets were definetly plugged..gee wonder why it wouldnt idle

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Take a small wire and clean all those little holes, then blow carb cleaner through it until you see it come out every hole. I missed this when I did my GL1200 carbs. Never ran right until I did this step. Now it runs like a new one.

If you don't have a set of vacuum gauges to sync the carbs, it is worth the money to do so. A Clymer's Manual will be worth the cost, also. you'll find the instructions on how to set the carbs in the manual. You got this! Stay with it 'till it's right. It's worth it in the end.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have to ask,what is the kidney shaped thing?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,005 Posts
I have to ask,what is the kidney shaped thing?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Just a cover over the air jet. And it also has a tab that matches the slot in the slide to hold it's orientation.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Take a small wire and clean all those little holes, then blow carb cleaner through it until you see it come out every hole. I missed this when I did my GL1200 carbs. Never ran right until I did this step. Now it runs like a new one.

If you don't have a set of vacuum gauges to sync the carbs, it is worth the money to do so. A Clymer's Manual will be worth the cost, also. you'll find the instructions on how to set the carbs in the manual. You got this! Stay with it 'till it's right. It's worth it in the end.

Thanx for the support, i have a clymer manuual , will look into the vacume gauges

21 - 30 of 30 Posts