Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I didn't do any required homework. All I heard all over was the glory of using pine sol on carbs.

YEAH RIGHT.

I stripped down 2 sets of CB750 carbs. dropped them in pine sol.

It ate the chrome off everything. F>>>>>> JUNK

Ruined 2 mint cb750 carb sets.

The 2 gallons of pine sol is now a grey paste, and the carbs are polluted with it.

slides shafts and brackets all ruined.

no idea if I will be able to get the paste off these bodies either.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
You should have mixed it with water. two parts water to one part pinesol

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
Doesn't matter how you mix it. Leave the parts in too long and anything that is plated, zinc or chrome or other, will be ruined. (the plating dissolves and turns black leaving bare metal after cleaning) Aluminum will survive okay. I also learned the hard way. That said, some commercial carb cleaners will do the same thing. I have issued this warning previously but who listens?

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Sorry to hear of this...

I have used Simple Green with good results..1 part Simple Green to 4 parts water in an ultra sonic cleaner. Parts that can stand it (not shiny finished) go into the carb dip first for some time then into the untrasonic for more cleaning...

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a web page devoted to how to use pine sol and not one word about the chrome issue.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The ONLY thing I have ever used to clean carbs is spray carb cleaner, like Gumout, Berrymans, etc. There are a lot of different brands, including Walmart SuperTech, which is the cheapest, and they are all about the same. They are very effective at removing dirt, gum and varnish, and the spray with straw is great for blowing out jets and other small openings, just watch your eyes. This stuff will not harm any kind of metal, but you do need to remove all the plastic and rubber parts. If the carbs are so bad they need to soak, Berryman Chem-Dip works very well.

I believe Pine-Sol has phosphoric acid in it, which will definitely damage aluminum and chrome. I destroyed an expensive tub faucet with it once. It ate all the chrome off.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
You don't want to use it on anything but bare carb bodies, it worked good for me mixed 50/50 with distilled water except when I put some brass parts in with the aluminum. Turned a carb black.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys I am really upset but thank god for one detail.
I was a few seconds from dropping in my 76 Limited carbs.
those carbs have one of a kind chrome on them.
so I guess it could have been worse.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
You gotsto read the fine print.

It says"Not for use on sensitive body parts". :readit::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
To remove the residue from the rest of the carbs take them to the car wash.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I've used pinesol with huge success, the biggest being a fully seized, and stored taken down yamaha xs850. It did turn the brass black, otherwise amazing results.

Now what I can't figure out, is I did put some chrome parts in there. various fittings etc.
Those came out with a black cast that rubbed off with 0000 steel wool leaving them looking new, except for the existing pits, but overall I would have tried it again.
The only problem I encountered was two aluminum/cast parts I missed, and sat in there for maybe a week or more, those were corroded, pitted.
sorry about the problem you had

Looking back, I used two bottles of pinesol and filled up a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 way.
Also took the chrome out after 20-24 hours leaving the carbs in for 4 days.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If you want to see something funny, get some stuff at Walmart called "The Works" bathroom cleaner. Pour it into a small container, put a junk (NOT a good one) carb body in it, and watch it dissolve right in front of your eyes. However, this stuff does have a place in restoring old vehicles. It is great for removing rust from steel.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
So sorry to read about your disaster. It sucks when this kind of mis-information costs us! And MINT carbs,too! That's why even using Pledge scared me at first. I don't like using products for stuff it wasn't made for. (Pledge is safe, though!) Must be some kind of alkiline or acid in Pine-Sol? Again, I feel ya. jimsjinx

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
PineSol is acidic (organic)... pH about 3 or 4 , with enough alcohol to help the pine oil become soluable in water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sounds like there are some pretty varying results, but much success in using this method, although these warnings aren't going unheeded by a guy who JUST dropped his carbs (fully assembled) into a pinesol solution (5 gallon tub, 1.5L Pine Sol, topped up with tap water).
Are there recommendations or warnings about how long these parts can be left to soak? I've read elsewhere that anything from overnight to three days is just fine. My solution is pretty dilute compared to anything mentioned here (about 1:5), so I'm not incredibly worried about it being too aggressive. However! I'd rather take them out too early, than suffer the consequences of leaving them too long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.