Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay I bought a 1995 Honda Shadow Spirit with 15,000 actual miles from a gentleman. He says its sat for the last several years in the shop due to the above problem. The carbs have been drained and it will run but within 5 min of starting it the one pipe gets so hot you can see thru it.He changed the head gasket, had the fuel mixture checked, the electrical system ect. I think it has a crack in a jug sucking air but no proof. I paid $685.00 for the bike as is and need to know if anyone else has had a simular problem or can help me out with this one.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

You did check that one pipe for obstructions, didn't you? What does that one plug look like? Does that one intake runner feel colder than the rest?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Do a compression test on that cylinder, you might have an exhaust valve not seating properly.

If the jug was cracked, you would see it leaking from the compression strokes. you might look for a vacuum leak to that cylinder on the intake pipe.

The bike could also be carboned up badly from crap fuel or improper operation.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I havent got the bike home yet to tear in to it. I am supposed to pick it up next week. I am looking at differant things to check BEFORE pulling the motor. Thanks to all that have give suggestions believe me it will help.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

My guess would be what Hatchman said-Exhaust valve hanging up. I bought a CB-900C that had valves improperly adjusted and the poipes turned a red when fired up. Luckily, no lasting damages were done.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's running lean on that cylinder.jet restricted,sucking air between carb and cylinder. my guesses

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

jbucross wrote:
Sounds like it's running lean on that cylinder.jet restricted,sucking air between carb and cylinder. my guesses
Ditto

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

First things first. Check the timing. I too had this happen on a van. The timing chain was stretched. Look into the easy things before you get drastic.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

Back up a little...how does the bike run, good power, smooth idle....starts easily?....popping on acceleration?....it you have a "stuck" exhaust valve, it will run awful...is it a 750 twin?...if it's lean, it will run poorly...with retarded timing, it will have low power as it would with an obstruction in the exhaust...you said that it has been sitting for years....clogged main jet?....need more info...Mick

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

I don't know if that bike has mechanical, or vacuum operated slides but it sounds like one of them is stuck in the up position..

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I will try these things.It will be a few weeks before I can get to it but will keep you all posted on what I find. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

slickster wrote:
Back up a little...how does the bike run, good power, smooth idle....starts easily?....popping on acceleration?....it you have a "stuck" exhaust valve, it will run awful...is it a 750 twin?...if it's lean, it will run poorly...with retarded timing, it will have low power as it would with an obstruction in the exhaust...you said that it has been sitting for years....clogged main jet?....need more info...Mick
What slickster recommended checking... and the result could be a faulty cylinder and the idle was raised to keep it running putting an overload condition on the good cylinder. I have seen this before and it will diffidently cause the exhaust pipe on the good cylinder to over heat and "turn red" due to overloaded operating conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.