Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Will be taking a winter ride in January of the southern states. Anybody know of a good place to park the truck and trailer for a couple of weeks in January of 2012?
We are from the twin Cities and really looking forward to bailing out for a couple weeks.
Somewhere in south TX would be great.

Thanks

SOC

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

There are several members in the Houston area. Contact AZ GL 1500 or Redbaron (both are Site Admins & RedBaron lives in the Houston area)& ask them to move your thread into the General Section. Lots more traffic there.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I know a few folks in those areas. What you gotta decide is if it'll be Katy near Houston or El Paso there's a good days ride between them.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

TXB

Thanks for the reply - We have two weeks to ride so anywhere in Tx is really ok.

Just lookin to stay out of the Northern part to stay warmer. Its just my brother and myself - so one truck and enclosed trailer and 2 Wings.

SOC

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

I live about an hour southwest of Houston, just 3 miles off the freeway. I have plenty of room for your truck and trailer if you want to come this far. We're about 3-4 hours from the hill country which is some of the best riding anywhere.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

KOA often have storage available for this type of thing. Usually $3.00 a day for boat storage. 24 hr supervision and open 7 days a week.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I moved this to the General forum so it might get a few more reply's...El Paso right now is OK to visit but a lot of other stuff going on, so I would avoid that area, except for maybe a day trip...Katy??? Katy is OK its one of the fastest growing areas around Houston at this time....Chief is right about the Hill Country, it is not huge mountains, but the hospitality of the folks there is great....San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Are also good for a day or two, Cities like Kerrville, Llano OH if you get to Llano you gotta eat at Coopers BBQ....Open pit, stand in line, pick out what you want, then go inside, get you some tater salad, then load up on their free beans, Man they got a pork chop to die for, called "The Big Chop"....Now I used to could set down and eat one, but now we get one and neither one of us go away hungry....

Little Towns in and around the Hill country have lots to see, Like Hunt, Texas, where some guy reconstructed a few of the Easter Island heads, and a mock up of the Stonehenge, out in the middle of nowhere but a "must see"....

Lots of exotic animal ranches up in that area to, so don't be surprised to see animals from Africa leaning over a fence....One more place you gotta visit and that's Greune Texas, Its where the oldest dance hall has been open the late 1800's...Bring your boot scooting boogie boots, there's always some young ladies wanting to wear them out...

http://www.gruenehall.com/

While you there get you a meal at the Grist Mill restaurant, a real old grist mill turned into a fantastic restaurant... You can set inside, or in the summer set out on the balconies overlooking the river....Them college girls from San Marcus really put on a show....:shock:

http://gristmillrestaurant.com/

The Gulf Coast...Galveston Texas, is good for a day or two, depending on the weather bring your fishing gear, might just catch you a fish or two.....Corpus Christi, used to be one of Texas's largest Naval bases, but most of it is shutdown, but there is the USS Lexington, an old WW II aircraft carrier there...Your probably not a Selena fan, but her memorial is on the sea wall there not too far from the Nina...Back years ago Spain built the ships Columbus sailed the oceans in and they are in Corpus, one is in the water the other two are at the Museum there...All three in really sad shape, lack of money to do the up keep, but they are working on them.....The Pinta, and San Maria are at the museum, you can get on the Pinta and brother that was real men who sailed them little suckers....

Houston is home to the Astro Dome, Battleship Texas, the San Jacinto Battlegrounds and Memorial...Funny thing about that memorial...When it was built, the Government said NO memorial could be taller than the ones in Washington....Then Texas said "hold on to your hats" they added a Star on the top as an observation tower,and its taller that any memorial in Washington...:readit:...

OK I'm getting extra long winded but if you need more sites or places to see, ask me or some of the other Texas members might have different ideas....BTW Chiefs offer of parking your rig at his place sounds like a great deal....Just one more thing...In January the weather here is really unpredictable...One day its 70 degrees, next hour it might be snowing, so come with your warm coats and Enjoy Texas...We'll leave a light on fer ya..

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Redbaron

Thanks for the move and all the info. I have never been to TX and it sounds great.

I PMed the Chief and yes it sounds like a perfect deal.This trip is all I can think about

and my brother is cranked up too. We certainly appreciate the input and hospitality

from the members.

SOC

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Sorry if I sound like a Texas Tour Guide, but I did major in Texas History, and get carried away at times....Here are a couple of links to Touring Texas...

http://www.tourtexas.com/index.cfm

Here is a link to order your very own free Texas tour guide and a state map...

http://www.traveltex.com/plan-your-trip/travel-guide/order-travel-guide

Or you can download it to your computer, times change.....:readit:...But the hardback book is great it gives cities by regions, attractions etc....The Map is as up to date as possible...Its a huge file so give it some time to download...WOW!!!!!...A total of 272 pages!!!!!..Just a tad more long winded than me....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

I own a small company and have room for your truck and trailer.

Office is located in NW Houston, right off highway 290 and Gessner road. Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Don

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

We are north of Dallas if that is any help

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Well,

I'm not in Texas anymore, family all over Wichita Falls and Iowa Park.

But, I have a lot of ground to hide your truck here north of Tulsa, OK.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well, dang, if it weren't for all the fire ants down there you'd have me wanting to camp out and spend the summer seeing all the stuff I missed the 10 years or so I lived in Lufkin LOL

There's lots of things I miss about Texas! Fire Ants is not one of them though! lol

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Rudys BBQ is a must and San Antonio and the River walk and Ditto on the hill country..also Bill Miller BBQ for Lunch. Hell even Grady's serves up good chow.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Plenty of room to park on my place. West of Abilene, leave here, go south thru the hill country on your way to Houston, Corpus, Galveston etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.