Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 08 goldwing for a couple of weeks and I am loving it . My wife and I are planning a trip to San Antonio Texas from St Petersburg Fl. This trip is in march. Just want an opinion on have far should we plan on traveling a day . We are going to take small day trips to get use to riding Last weekend we did about 180 miles half way to a town to eat and shop and the rest going back home. we will increase that as the weeks go by and time allows . I have to have my vacation request in well before hand so looking for some opinions on what would be a safe amount of miles to ride in one sitting . It will be freeway all the way and be in San Antonio for one week.
Thanks much
Pete

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
That depends on you. Do you want to stop and see things? That takes time and less miles for the day. The wife and I stop alot , get about 3-400 a day. I like to walk around and stretch, or my back and knees hurt. 8 hours of riding time on the interstate will be 400+ so go from there.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
We usually travel between 300 and 400 miles a day, but have traveled a few 650 mile days also. Frequent rest stops of around 10 minutes to stretch out, hydrate, and maybe eat a light snack are all we usually needed to keep us refreshed and going for the day. We usually only ride an average of between 60 and 90 minutes before taking breaks. Do not rush yourself. Make the ride enjoyable.

·
1,566 Posts
St Pete to San Antonio round trip is 2400 miles. If you average 60 mph the round trip alone will take 40 hrs of travel time.
Averaging 60 mph may seem easy, but stops for gas, eats, other pit stops eat into avg mph.
That 40 hrs is five full 8 hr riding days of just 'getting there and back'. If you don't plan to do 8 hrs a day of saddle time, you will have to add in how much extra it will take.
Then there is how much time you plan on staying in San Antonio visiting.
Plan accordingly.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
My rule of thumb is; plan on averaging 50 mph over a days travel. You may average more, but not much more. So, 6 hours takes you 300 miles - 8 hours takes you 400 miles. That will include fuel stops, food stops, light sight seeing stops, and enjoying the trip. The freeway will take you farther, but then you get into a trance and next thing you know you have been in the saddle 8-10 hours and so damned tired you can't stand it. And you have missed the reason to ride a Goldwing.

So, figure $250 per day for room, meals, fuel and misc. + 6-8 hours on the road. Make the ride safe and enjoyable. If you make better time and spend less money, you did good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chief

·
Registered
517 Posts
2 up with my wife

300 - 350 miles is an easy day that ends around 5pm if you get going at 7:30 or 8am. lots of time to sight see.

500 miles is the longest we like to go in a day. 650 miles is the max we've ever done and we weren't enjoying the last 100 miles.

do a search and review some excellent threads on what to pack.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Four hundred miles is about my all my knees and other old parts can comfortably do anymore, but it depends on weather, as well as your age.
If half the day is spent in rain, you may want to shorten a day, maybe not. Again depends on what you feel comfortable with.
May sound goofy, but from what you said, this is sort of a new endeavor and you haven't much experience with it yet. If that's the case, I'd suggest taking it out some day in the rain and getting used to riding that way. Not everyday will be sunny and better to be prepared than surprised.
Rainy travel in my estimation takes a bit getting used to before you get to the point of not caring on way or the other. Give it some practice.
FYI
I don't pay particular attention to rain anymore, but it took some time to get to that point.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Four hundred miles is about my all my knees and other old parts can comfortably do anymore, but it depends on weather, as well as your age.
If half the day is spent in rain, you may want to shorten a day, maybe not. Again depends on what you feel comfortable with.
May sound goofy, but from what you said, this is sort of a new endeavor and you haven't much experience with it yet. If that's the case, I'd suggest taking it out some day in the rain and getting used to riding that way. Not everyday will be sunny and better to be prepared than surprised.
Rainy travel in my estimation takes a bit getting used to before you get to the point of not caring on way or the other. Give it some practice.
FYI
I don't pay particular attention to rain anymore, but it took some time to get to that point.
Born Again hit it dead on center. Preparation beats a surprise every time. Whatever you spend to stay dry and warm is worth every nickel.

Chief

·
Registered
517 Posts
+1 to BornAgains comment on rain. I was always nervous in the rain until the day I took the class for my roadracing license. It was raining most of the day and the wet track didn't seem to slow down the bikes on the racetrack much at all. I learned that day that your tires have far more traction on wet pavement than you think (as long as you don't hydroplane).

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
My rule of the road is: "When something doesn't feel right or is nagging you, get off the bike and take care of it." Riding and not feeling comfortable is a no no for me. With that being said, riding the bike and just seeing the world go by is my kind of riding, if you want to stop and smell the roses, that is fine too. Each type of riding take a certain amount of time and avg. mph. The fun in riding is not so much as getting there as it is getting TO there, getting there can be accomplished in a cage, or any other way, but riding, that's different. So my advice to you would be, do it, whatever feels good to you, as far as how many miles are safe, "How far is up". It's all up to you.............and the mrs. of course.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I will agree with seabeechief, 50 miles per hour average, highway. Remember there will be stops for fuel, food, rest, and such. Do not be in a hurry, enjoy the ride and stay alert. Arrive alive.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I usually get between 350 - 450 a day. Anything more than that and I am feeling it the next day which affects the distance even more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do plan on a few day trips to see what we can do. I am in no hurry ever on the road. I do the speed limit,maybe a touch faster if traffic is moving that way. I ride every day to work all year rain doesn't bother me at time I like it. I haven't done much on the freeway in the rain but I am sure I'll get my chance.Thanks again this have been very helpful .
Pete

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The wife and I have done several long rides (4,000mi-9800mi) and we found that riding until you get tired and then look for a room works the best.
I would try and plan a destination to stop, and then something would always change the plan (traffic,weather,wife, interesting site)not in any order,so just go with it and be willing to embrace change.
enjoy the ride and be safe.
just west of San Antonio are very nice motorcyle roads called the three sisters, it is a texas motorcyle meca
http://www.myscenicdrives.com/drives/texas/texas-hill-country
http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html

http://www.droseinn.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.