Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am planning a trip to Las Vegas and San Diego in July of 2009. Truckin' Tim and I are going to ride from Fort Wayne, IN to Las Vegas (I'm bowling in the USBC National Tourney). From Vegas we are going to ride to San Diego to see Tim's son (who is in the US Navy)and daughter in law. I was just wondering, since I have yet to leave the state on my wing, if 3 weeks would be a accurate time frame for this ride?

I would appreciate any input...thanks in advance

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

According to Google Maps, it's about 2200 miles. You didn't say how many days you wouldn't be travelling, so it's hard to figure, but just figuring 5 non-travel days, that's only 275 miles a day for travelling. Pretty easy travel days. Last September me, NaturallyGW and exavid travelled together to Calhoun Georgiafor the forum rally. NGW and myself from Port Orchard, Washington and exavid from Medford Oregon. That was over 7100 miles round trip on the route we took. We spent 3 days in Calhoun and were gone a total of 16 days. We averaged around 500 mile days or a bit more. Three weeks could easily be enough for your trip. I would do a lot of local riding beforehand though, to condition yourself. Wouldn't hurt to take some shorter long trips too, like a couple hundred miles, to make sure the Wing is running well as well as conditioning yourself. 4400 miles will be a lot of riding if you are not ready for it. :)

John

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
According to Google Maps, it's about 2200 miles. You didn't say how many days you wouldn't be travelling, so it's hard to figure, but just figuring 5 non-travel days, that's only 275 miles a day for travelling. Pretty easy travel days. Last September me, NaturallyGW and exavid travelled together to Calhoun Georgiafor the forum rally. NGW and myself from Port Orchard, Washington and exavid from Medford Oregon. That was over 7100 miles round trip on the route we took. We spent 3 days in Calhoun and were gone a total of 16 days. We averaged around 500 mile days or a bit more. Three weeks could easily be enough for your trip. I would do a lot of local riding beforehand though, to condition yourself. Wouldn't hurt to take some shorter long trips too, like a couple hundred miles, to make sure the Wing is running well as well as conditioning yourself. 4400 miles will be a lot of riding if you are not ready for it. :)

John
Thanx John...we only plan on 8-10 hours of riding per day(if that...dont know if Truckin' Tim can handle it...lol...he's a bit older than I:cooldevil:), 3 day layover in Vegas to bowl then off to San Diego. I do plan on a full service in the spring and before the trip. I have already put about 3k miles on her since July. I also plan on a weekend trip to the Dragonin thespring. I need to get my routes (planning on a lot of "Route 66" riding). Thanks again.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

You're quite welcome. That's going to be a fantastic trip! If you guys travel 8 hours a day and average even 50 MPH, not too hard to do, that's 400 miles a day. :) I know you've put a few miles on your girl already, but please do some conditioning riding before the trip. You will want to arrive in Vegas in good shape for your bowling tournament. :) Sitting in the saddle for 8-10 hours a day can take a lot out of you if you are not used to it. It's much more difficult than doing it in a car. The trip to the Dragon will be a good run to help you on the way. We did the Dragon from Calhoun and that was fun. My avatar is a Dragon picture actually.

BTW, you have the best looking 1200 made IMHO. ;) I have one like her. Has always been my favorite 1200, and I remember seeing one just like her on the showroom floor in '86, and drooling on her. :D

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.