Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Look at this, my lads and lassies! A website for shipping and maybe storing a bike to and in Europe..... Red and I rode once for ten days in the Swiss Alps, a trip we never forgot. We want to go back, and we shall! Ship the ST, buy an old Wing for here, go to Europe once, maybe twice more, then sell the ST over there....yeah! Life's too short to not dream the "impossible." And don't tell me we can't; people told us we couldn't go over there and live in a campervan, either, and yet we did...for eight weeks! Two ******** in a VW...driving all over the place! Wonderful time!

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Hello.html

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

Wow !!! you sure do know how to spend money. if you pay, My wife and I can go !!

Ok Ok !!! we can chip in a little. How does that work for you ?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I looked at one of those tours about 20 years ago, seems like it was in Germany. They supplied a BMW motorcycle. The whole thing cost over $5,000 and like I said, that was over 20 years ago.

If you can afford it and have the time, go for it. Life is too short to waste if you can afford to do otherwise.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oh, I dunno...... that Honda Silverwing we rode over there cost us $500 for ten days...... We bought a campervan for $4500, lived in it for eight weeks and sold it back for $3000. I can't remember what our air fare was, think about $1800...... so......

We spent eight weeks in Europe for $3800... not including diesel for the van, campground fees (which averaged about $10-$15 a night), and food (which we got mostly from groceries and markets, and which we would have had to have if we hadn't gone...... And as they say, you can't take it with you. Two guys were at a rich guy's funeral. "How much did he leave," one guy asked the other. The other replied. "He left it all, buddy! He left it all!"

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ,

I just saw your post on Knopf Tours and that looks like a great deal, I think the prices look great. I have been wanting to take my bike over and explores all the place that I couldn't get to before.

Thanks!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

You want me to price you a nice Wing? I have a couple located. A 1500 and a 1200.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Hi Cousin Jack,

That sounds like a great trip - Christine and I have done many trips to Germany/Netherlands/Austria and Switzerland on our previous Wings, plus I did abig trip to Northern Norway on my last 1500. If there is any infoI can helpwith then please let me know. If you decide to add GB to your epic trip then we are right up in the North of Scotland on the Northern Isles.

I feel that I have another big trip before I slow down a bit (I'm only 62 now) and I would love to travel over to the US with my own 'Wing and do Coast to Coast - I have a Niece and her familyin Cleveland OH so that's a focal point.

Christine and I are going over to Germanyat the end of this month (but in our small van) on a wine collecting trip and will be quite close to Heidelberg, so we will try to visit to get some first hand info. The area around that beautiful University town is fantastic - the Neckar valley - lots of vineyards and opportunities for B and B, not to mention some fabulous biking roads. Not sure what it might cost to buy a good used bike out there (Germany) for the trip and sell prior to return - I'll look at some prices.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Orcadian wrote:
Hi Cousin Jack,

That sounds like a great trip - Christine and I have done many trips to Germany/Netherlands/Austria and Switzerland on our previous Wings, plus I did a big trip to Northern Norway on my last 1500.  If there is any info I can help with then please let me know.  If you decide to add GB to your epic trip then we are right up in the North of Scotland on the Northern Isles. 

I feel that I have another big trip before I slow down a bit (I'm only 62 now) and I would love to travel over to the US with my own 'Wing and do Coast to Coast - I have a Niece and her family in Cleveland OH so that's a focal point. 

Christine and I are going over to Germany at the end of this month (but in our small van) on a wine collecting trip and will be quite close to Heidelberg, so we will try to visit to get some first hand info.  The area around that beautiful University town is fantastic - the Neckar valley - lots of vineyards and opportunities for B and B, not to mention some fabulous biking roads.  Not sure what it might cost to buy a good used bike out there (Germany) for the trip and sell prior to return - I'll look at some prices.
Thank you very much, friend! Yeah, I was wondering if a "buy-back" on a motorcycle might be an option....that's how we did it on the van..... Let's keep in touch! We missed Heidelberg in 2004, but we got Rothenberg Aum Der Tauber (sp?) and another medieval town..... and Munich....

The west coast of Scotland has long been on our bucket list. If you get over here, let us know and we'll burn some gas together!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

We visited Rothenberg about 20 years ago and had a blast! Stayed at a bed and breakfast close by. We toured the Rhine river from Frankfurt and into Switzerland.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Nothing quite like living there for 5 years, I lived right outside Heidelberg. Went everyplace on my '83 Aspencade. I miss it...:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Get a friend in Europe to purchase a used bike there, use it, and then sell it.

Total cost would be your insurance and gas, with luck you may even make some money on the deal too.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Hello again,

Rothenberg O.dT certainly is a lovely place - perhaps the other medieval place was Dinkelsbuhl? It is set as my desktop pic on the laptop. We were there last year with our classic Mini at a rally. Just to whet your appetite, here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

this dosen't seem bad at all. For the price some people spend on Christmas or a new set of *oobs, you can travel with your bike and create unforgetable memories... I'm in :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.