Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have been planning this ride since the first of the year, and the riding season is slipping away! Riding 1000 miles in under 24 hours, even on a comfy GoldWing hasme a little intimidated, I'll admit. I'm 52, and my 19 year old daughter is my riding partner for this father/daughter act on Sunday.

We've had a few short rides together, and I did a 400 mile ride last spring. We're planning to ride the inside circumference of the state of MO for an in-state ride to boot. It's daunting to an aging photographer with little time to ride even weekly....same distance as if we'd left our home here, right in the center of the country and rode directly to Washington DC in one day.

We're going to do it. If something keeps us from completing it Sunday, we'll adapt and go until we own this challenge! It's kinda cool to be able to earn one's own trophies, at a time and manner of one's choice. Most riders say the last half is much easier than they expected.....I hope they're right!

Just throwing this out there to keep the pressure on myself to get 'er done. We work 6 days a week, and it's so easy to make excuses and take Sunday off relaxing. So, hopefully we're off about 3 am Sunday, will submit a ride report when time avails!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Ride safe and may theAngel's of the Wings smile on you and your daughter on your journey!:angel2::action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Bless you both; ride safe.........

Be thinking about you.....

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thank you gentlemen....never hurts to have blessings and God in your corner! Hope you all get some wonderful rides in as well before the winter hibernates our bikes.

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

I have done 24hr days before it's no fun ,but that was at work . At 53 I am not sure I want to be awake that long . Your mind can do silly things from lack of sleep . I pray you are both safe on this adventure . May you know when to say enough and not push on to far .

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Enjoy the heck out of it.
I'm 55 and I did 1 official and 1 unofficial SS1000's this summer. They are a blast.
Taking your daughter along sounds like a great way to share your passion with her.
Stay hydrated, relax and revel in the adventure.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I am 59 and just did my first SS1000 and BB1500 last week. In my case, I was going from Atlanta to Reno anyway, so decided to get the two certifications along the way. I did it on my GL1500 and found it a comfortable bike.
Some advice, if you don't mind, since the experience is so fresh in my mind. I started at about 7am and ended about 1am. IBA says most people take about 18 hours to do the 1000.

Wake up when your own body like to wake up. that said, the earlier in the day, the better. To maximize daylight. If your system can accept getting up at 5:30am and still be refreshed and alert, that is great.
Keep the early stops as short as possible. I ate breakfast at one stop (only about 20 mins at a Hubble house), but should have probably skipped that. Be extremely careful for the last 200 miles of the trip. IMHO, there is a "wall" somewhere around 800 miles that makes the difference between a long day's ride and an Iron Butt SS1000. You get tired, your butt gets tired, and you need to be especially careful. I ran into construction and heavy truck traffic at the end of the trip that slowed me down.
For the butt, consider the $20 Walmart gel cushion. I also had beads on top of the cushion, which kept the butt cool. With those two additions, I found the stock seat fine. I typically ran 150 miles at a crack, around 2 hours at interstate speeds, then stopped for gas and a bottle of water. Find the rhythm that works for you.
Others are far more experienced and can offer more advice, and the IBA web site has advice as well.
Life is a journey, enjoy it, you only get one.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Good luck Flashya and congratulations SailorKane. I'm hoping to do this next year either on the ST or GL1200.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

We, wife and I, have also been looking at this. We have a trip planned to San Diego next June and are going to try for the SS1000 and the BB1500 on the way out - total distance is 1800 miles. No push to it, if we make it great, and if not, there will always be another time.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Getting pumped for our ride tomorrow....it's pretty cool in MO this weekend, have to take clothing for cold, cool, and mild temps throughout. Long day of photography in our studio, and a dance tonight...that's easy work. Amended our route a bit last night, and having had two sets of driving lights installed recently, was up til ten aiming those in the street out front. We're nearly ready...hoping we're up to it!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

You're up to it, I can tell by your attitude. I was thinking the same thing last Summer when we had a 1000 in 24 here in Colorado. I hadn't ridden 1000 miles in 24 hours in the last 20yrs, but on a Goldwing it went smooth as glass. I was worried right up until the ride. "Can I do it". Yes you can, drink plenty, ride and have fun.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Words of encouragement bring me hope, and thank you. My buddy who rewired my new driving lights yesterday said his first seven calls of the day concerned deer/vehicle meetings! One set of the lights is for the road, the second set is probably as illegal as all billy-hell....set wide and high, to see towards the brush along these Missouri roads...hoping to wake THEM up to our passing, and maybe see their beady little eyes from a distance, rather than up CLOSE!! I know, you can't see them comin....but you can TRY everything to make your ride safer. I shouldn't worry....I have a sweet bell hanging off the back of the bike...lol

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Wishing you a safe ride, and good luck with your iron butt. May god ride with you and your daughter tomorrow

And have a great time

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

You will be in my thoughts throughout the day. Best of luck to you. I'll be looking forward to your safe return with a report.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

Have a safe ride today, we need you and your daughter to return home and able to report how much fun you had.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Ride report: We were up at 3:30, gassed and officially underway at 4:30 a.m. We were a little surprised by the 38 degree temps, somewhat cooler than we expected. After an hour on the road, daughter Emily was an icicle. Being planned as a father/daughter event, her enjoyment of the experience was the priority to me, and we stopped forhot chocolate, planning on hitting the next WalMart for long underwear to help her through until midday.

The hot chocolate warmed her, but was a catalyst to a recurring gall bladder problem she's been having. A hundred miles into the trip, we were stopped, and she was unable to continue. Back home we came, and she's been in bed for the last six hours.

Hoping to get the right meds into her, and an extra dose of some pill she's taking to fend off the gall bladder problem.....perhaps head out extra earlytomorrow (Monday). If not, hopefully next Sunday.

Some projects succeed, some fail.....we're only postponed!

Thanks to all for your encouragement, we'll be back to post our success.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

The ride was a success, you put the priorities where they belonged and made the right decisions.

The goal is still out there, and it will come in due time.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

When you take a loved one out for a ride on the bike ... you can't lose.

I've done several IronButts, some were more enjoyable than others. The Great Lakes rides were beautiful, but I MUCH prefer an open Interstate ... 500 out & back. Way safer.

Growing up in the North, I don't enjoy dodging deer [and other nite critters] anymore.

If you dress for 35* you're still good for 75*.I always limited my liquid intake to 'water only' & ate light. A bottle of water e/ 2hrs is decent.

Have 'fun' on your next ride ... whatever the distance. :action:

If you are lucky, you will get 25 great rides in before you actually make it. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.