Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Final Product

Ok, here is the final product. I liked the aluminum but was concerned about the CV slide hitting the aluminum. Would probably be ok, but was just concerned about how it would perform over the years. I was able to secure some black delron of the correct size, didnt have a larger diameter before so I used the aluminum to get me by. I think this fix is going to both look great and perform great for many years. Also, I have been testing to see how warm these caps get under running conditions. There is literally no heat transfer from the engine to these caps so I think the .0015" press fit with the Krazy glue is gonna hold no problem.

I hope you like these Mike (OnAWingAndAPrayer), thats how your set is gonna look. We already started buffing yours and I have removed the old busted buttons.

I am going to install this cap on my bike and run it for awhile to see how it performs with the custom button. I am still dialing in my ignition and timing systems so it may be a little while before I am able to run this for a lot of miles. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
It looks Great ! The black will distinguish them from factory , so that I think is nice . I did get your message/photo earlier today . Those caps were a little more than barn find grungy . I didnt expect you to clean them . I figured I would be buffing them later . So a big thanks for spiffing them up ! Put some miles on them as you wish . My 75 is not ready to use them at this time .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice work.

Off and on for a few years I have been thinking of a way to fix these, but in a way that would accomplish two things: 1) Be a way so that someone could buy a kit and do it themselves at home with tools they might already have (like Randakk's great float pin kit). 2) Appear to be factory original, at least with a normal glance.

Bill
That would be great, unfortunately given the parts design I just don't see any way possible for anybody to do a proper repair job on these without specialized machine tools and knowledge of the OEM part design. The average joe will have to stick with the JB weld technique. That is unless I can get my design dialed in and properly tested. Once I am confident about this design performinance and longevity I may try to help people repair thiers as a service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
WingandAPrayer

Mike,

Here are your finished caps. I installed my repaired cap on the 76 and was able to run it. I tried out the sync gage. It works pretty well. I still need to get a new set of points and set my timing all up. When I do that I will re sync the carbs.

I am pretty confident about my repair now that I have been able to do several. I would be happy to work on that set from your running bike if you want me to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
IT's amazing how youv'e turned those old broken caps into nice looking ,usable, repaired caps. Those are SWEEEET. You have me wanting to work on the 75 again(as if I have time ) I am busy getting ready for NASSIR 7 . I better see if I have the title /paper work and get that squared away .

21 - 27 of 27 Posts