Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought another licence plate trim, which is polished "plastic chrome" finish. Despite being ultra careful in the past, the previous trims have all become marked and scratched (usually when cleaning them).

I was wondering if I could coat the finish with a clear sealant (maybe varnish) which would prevent any damage to the new one ? Anyone have any ideas please ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
I have never seen anyone try this . I do understand how easy the chrome finish scratches with just simple cleaning .
If I had an old part I might make a test on it to see how the plastic reacts to the clear coat you want to try .
Possibly try some clear spray coatings .

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
It will just flake off Ron.
+1

You're better off finding out what the best cleaner would be and using the proper type cloth that can't scratch the delicate surface. The previous owner of my '98SE tried doing something with a small spot the size of a pencil eraser on the big plastic chrome piece on the front above the headlight and managed to goober it up to be about 2" in diameter. Not a disaster, but hard to miss if you look at that part of the bike...VERY annoying. But...I'm not willing to pay the price to replace it.

Try McGuire's website for some information and you might even call or email them for advice:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produ...AYPCWEBMACSS&gclid=CLWnka3h5rcCFU_ZQgodyRQAVg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Novus plastic polish with a micro fibre towel keeps plastic chrome really well. I use a very damp (quite wet) terry towel to remove the heavy accumulation then finish it off with the novus. They make a 3 level system for protection and scratch removal. The plastic polish #1 is usally my choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.