Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of adding some extra lighting to the sides of the bike using aftermarket LED's. To keep everything looking oem and neat I would like to use some of the plastic connector bodies that mate to the factory wiring. Does anyone know where I can find some easily?? Primarily need 2 wire connectors. About 6 would do me and give me a couple for boo boos. This is going on a 1999 GL1500 SE I found late last summer with 26790 miles on it. Looks to be in very good condition so far. I am in the process of checking it all over this winter. :grin3:

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check out:

Eastern Beaver.com
Vintage Connections: vintageconnections.com
Cycle Terminal: cycleterminal.com

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the ones from Cyclemax mate up to oem? I don't know for sure if they do. I guess I overlooked those when I ordered some other stuff. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I see the 2 pin connectors and pins (male/female) but I do not see the "crimping tool" necessary to crimp the pins to the wire. Do you folks just solder the wire to the pins?

The small amount of "wiring" I did on my beast was to snip the OEM pins and replace with .093 Molex pins and connectors. I acquired a Molex crimping tool and it works well. A quick solder and shrink tubing finishes the job. Is there a drawback with using Molex instead of the OEM pins/connectors?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Do the ones from Cyclemax mate up to oem? I don't know for sure if they do. I guess I overlooked those when I ordered some other stuff. thanks guys.
The connectors sold by Cyclemax are Hitachi type connectors, the same as the connectors on the GL1500. They mate up perfectly.
I bought and have used all three sets of connectors.

Electrical Connection also sells the connectors. https://electricalconnection.com/?s=hitachi
If you look at the bottom you can see that they also sell the crimper for the connector pins.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I see the 2 pin connectors and pins (male/female) but I do not see the "crimping tool" necessary to crimp the pins to the wire. Do you folks just solder the wire to the pins?

The small amount of "wiring" I did on my beast was to snip the OEM pins and replace with .093 Molex pins and connectors. I acquired a Molex crimping tool and it works well. A quick solder and shrink tubing finishes the job. Is there a drawback with using Molex instead of the OEM pins/connectors?
The crimping tool is available through Electrical Connection. https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/crimper-hitachi-type/

I normally will just solder the pins onto the wire after using the crimping tool.
The only draw back with using Molex connectors is that they do not physically mate up with the Hitachi Style connectors on the bike. Electrically they work as advertised. With the Hitachi style connectors you can fabricate plug and play harnesses for the bike. Using Molex, you have to modify the wiring on the bike to mate things up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts