Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, I did a bad thing.

I was working on the clutch hydraulics and missed a spill. This was the result. I thought the color of plastic went all the way through but what have I got here?

Anyone ever had this problem and found a way to fix it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Oh, I did a bad thing.

I was working on the clutch hydraulics and missed a spill. This was the result. I thought the color of plastic went all the way through but what have I got here?

Anyone ever had this problem and found a way to fix it?
I had Someone bleed my brakes and got fluid all over my windshield and my right side poket cover, I never got it off, I don't know if a light sanding would help or not. I replaced the windshield with a Cee baileys but my pocket cover still has spots from the fluid and I've tried everything to remove them with no luck.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Well, i know for a fact the brown plastics on the ltd (at least mine) are painted... i have yet to find a paint to match btw. You may have more luck with yours because it's more common, but I'm basically looking at repainting my whole inner fairing in a "new hue"...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Krylon makes a semi-flat black which is more like the shade you want. Krylon makes Fusion spray paint for painting plastics, and the finish you want is called Satin Black.

Assuming yours is a black plastic, and not the dark gray that I have seen Honda use.

Or since it's a door, just buy a new one, or find a good used one on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
I think a satin black paint would cover it and look good. I have used a color called Hot Rod Black and it is a semi-gloss that looks good. You could visit a John Deere dealer and see if they have some of the spray cans in John Deere Blitz Black. It is a satin finish color.
Oh, and just be thankful the fluid isn't on your paint!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
DO NOT USE SILICON SPRAY!!! If it doesn't work paint will likely never stick to it. Personally I don't allow silicon of any kind in the shop. I do painting in there and just having that over spray in the shop will fish eye paint for years. Just do as others have said. Clean it with some mild solvent like denatured alcohol and paint it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys.
I tried Mcguires, Armor-All, Magic Marker and even shoe polish. The marks come back after a few minutes, so I guess I need to find some Romany Red paint.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys.
I tried Mcguires, Armor-All, Magic Marker and even shoe polish. The marks come back after a few minutes, so I guess I need to find some Romany Red paint.
After using the above, good luck getting any paint to cover properly. I also don't allow any silicone in my shop for that reason. You might try scrubbing with some kind of heavy duty cleaner, wipe down with wax and grease remover (prep Sol) or alcohol, And good luck.
P.S. I never use Armor All on anything, it will actually "dry" out plastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.