Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

That plastic ring on the final drive. Anybody know how that's attached to the housing? Mine has come loose and is rattling around.

Last time I had the wheel off I looked for a broken tab or loose bolt and found nothing. It just got worse and I'm afraid its going to jump ship if I don't do something.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

I guess I should have looked in the book.

That ring, it turns out, is called a dust seal. Which is weird because it seals nothing. There's a quarter inch gap all the way around it. Any way, it's held on with one bolt through a tab, and I'm guessing that tab is broken. Have to remove the wheel to find out.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it a mileage thing?

I expect the part to be available through Honda...but ya never know. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

It keeps rocks and trash out of the drive flange/spline area. The ringindexes into grooves in the diff housing,then turns to lock in place - the bolt through the tab holds it "locked".

If the bolt came loose, the thing could've worked itself free - some tabs havea slot, instead of a hole for the bolt. It's largely the same set-up on both the 12 and 15.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The part is discontinued from Honda. It mounts with a bolt and a couple of "tabs" to hold it in.

If I were you - I'd do what I could to save it. Dismount your rear wheel and get the dust seal out, evaluate any damage/cracks and get to repairs before it's beyond saving. It's time for ABS glue.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Rusty & Wing#1,

Thanks guys, I'd about given up on anybody knowing anything about this piece.

Think I'll tear it down this afternoon to see if the part is savable. I was looking forward to riding...

Poop! With this bike if it's not one thing, it's three others.

I swear, I'm going to buy a good ol' AMF Harley. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Just to be super clear - we're talking about item #9 in this diagram.....?

While you've got that rear wheel off - check the large seal around the output. If you see any trace of a leak, it'd be an optimal time to change that seal. You're right there already. (Item 35)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks RG, that's the culprit.

I expect to find that flimsy little tab the bolt goes through has disintegrated. Last time I changed tires I looked at that piece and don't remember seeing the tab. Old plastic in a hostile environment. I should have looked in the book then.

I'm stupid...and I can prove it!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

As Wing#1 said, it worked itself loose.

No damage to the piece, so I put it all back together and now I know something I didn't know this morning.

But I'm still stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.