Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There are not too many guys with wings that haven't busted the little plastic tabs while trying to remove or re-place a side cover or any of the other multiple snap on pieces. I know of quite a few that have lost bits and pieces off the front fender. I have a heck of a time trying to get the side cover around or over the brake pedal. Would be nice if these snap ons were a little more user friendly

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Yes it does seem that motorcycle designers have neglected this small area over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wow Bud.....Thanks......I didn't think anybody really cared!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Something like Dzus fasteners would make more sense. Also it would be nice if there weren't so many plastic pieces. Two main halves that would uncover the bike would sure speed things up if it were properly designed to come off by releasing eight or ten fasteners. If aircraft cowlings were designed like the 'Wing preflight inspections would take hours instead of minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Exactly!!!!! I've built Revell models with fewer pieces. How can we sell it to Honda on the two halves idea....and make some money. Perhaps we should introduce them to some aricraft designers

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

I removed access panels on Phantoms for years to get to the wire bundlesthat had bullet holes shot through them.

They used those Dzus fasteners like you said Exavid. Plenty of them failed though, over time from over tightning or just being in a hurry.

Maybe another way would be better.:baffled:

According to the history of the Goldwing, the engineers specifically designed the body to NOT show any screws or bolts, as they wanted a totally smooth bike and light weight as possible.

How aboutan entire Velcroed bike.....:cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Camlocs would be better than Dzus fasteners, the point being having a few screws showing would ease maintenance and eliminate those furshluggener plastic ****.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
furshluggener plastic ****.
Hey ExAvid flyboy, I got the point the first time....:cheeky1: I just doubt Honda will go back to showing bolts and stuff :stumped:

But Furshluggener ????? That's a new one on me.....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Yes, i had bad luck repairing a broken tab, i tried some industrial strenth velcro from wally world sewing dept, seems to hold ok,, not sure if i would trust it if all the tabs were gone, tried other stuff jb weld, epoxy and the famous pvc pipe cement, none held as good as the velcroe, seeya john n2xwv

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you used pvc pipe cement it won't do the job, gottabe the Weldon ABS cement, the black goop.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

Like the mirrors I glued to my spokes, I used Amazing Goop to glue a couple of tabs and they have never broken.
http://www.amazinggoop.com

But if you have a wooden wing, you may want to use Lemon Pledge. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

[align=left]Velcro!!! Now wait a minute! There's an idea! How about bolted-on blocks of wood or some such where the rubber grommets are now, faced with velcro.... and the mating velcro glued on the panels where the broken tabs are now......

If I break anymore of the d_mned things, I'm gonna try it! :gunhead::gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:
[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
imported post

Very Simple... New models should have the tabs mount on the body of the bike not on the plastic covers....they could be threaded and screwed into the frame.... The covers should have the grommets... Both could then beeasily replaceable and still have the original concept of no external hardware

JMO Sounds like a weiner...

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
. . . those furshluggener plastic ****.
Someone read "Mad Magazine" as a youngster.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
imported post

All the panels I had to remove on a Phantom were held in with cross point screws. About 600 to the inch. We had to use speed handles and bits. Speed handle my arse. I think that was the worst plane I had to work on.

A lot of plastic fastners are one time users. That can be a bit of a drag. Dzus is pretty good though.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
imported post

I thought the F4 was the best fighter of it's time. But then, I was a hydraulic spec and didn't have to take all the panels off, he he. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
imported post

I was Jets.Could not remove or install an engine with the hydro pumpsinstalled. Had to move the engine a few inches and reach up through a small panel. It was like removing and replacing the carburatoron your car without opening the hood(bonnet). Sucked big time. :p

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Use to have the problem in the earlier days of Goldwings that the side cover would blow off easily if you met a truck from the opposite direction and you got hit with a strong enough gush of air.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
imported post

nickstas wrote:
Very Simple... New models should have the tabs mount on the body of the bike not on the plastic covers....they could be threaded and screwed into the frame.... The covers should have the grommets... Both could then beeasily replaceable and still have the original concept of no external hardware

JMO Sounds like a weiner...
Brilliant idea!:clapper::clapper::clapper: Honda, are you listening??

(Now why didn't I think of that?:?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.