Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving: Does anyone know what is the best product for cleaning our plastic windshields, one that fills those every day little scratches we seem to accumulate.

:praying:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

The only thing that has been used on mine since she was new is Lemon Pledge and it's virtually scratch free!! 26 years and counting......

:coollep::coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Pledge works great on my older shield where nothing else will.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Pledge keeps it clean, but isn't good for removing scratches already in the shield.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

The last guy that worked on my bike got brake fluid on my windshield which left these white spots all over and now I wish I would have taken before and after pictures but anyway I went to wally world and bought Meguiars motorcycle plastic cleaner/polish and it took some time some rubbingand many applications but it did do one heck of a job.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Go to a plex supplier. I worked in the exhibit industry for about five years and did museums and traveling corp displays. We used a two stage product that came in small bottles one was for removing scratches the other to polish it. It was not expensive. We used it by the case. Its called Novus if you have scratches you use the Novus 1 then the Novus 2. Never use Windex or anything containing ammonia but you probably already know that.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastic_Polish

E plastics is out of San Diego but if you call them they more then likely have an outlet or vendor in Yuma.:waving:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have been very happy using Plexus between regular bike washings, and a coat of Rain Magik is great during the winter.
I replaced mine two years ago. Over time there gets to be just enough little scrathes in it (especially if you ride a lot and year round) that it is just plain nice to have fresh plastic.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

+1 on the meguiars plastic polish. When I bought Marg, the windshield had numerous small scratches and was hazy. Worked it over good with the polish and was amazed how well it removed the scratches and cleared up the shield. I polish it about once a month and use pledge inbetween polishings. Most plastic polish will do the job.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

As you can imagine, clear windshields are quite important for flying. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty is probably the # 1 mail order source for most general aviation & homebuilt aircraft guys: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html

Do a search on plastic polish - they offer an impressive range of plastic polish products. I've switched to using Meguiars PlastX - great stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm happy with Plexus.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Plexus

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

i have used ICE detail spray ,,, it works on the windshield and the rest of the bike really good

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Never use Windex or anything containing ammonia but you probably already know that.
:shock: Seriously?? :shock:

I did not know that. I use Windex on everything, including the bike windshields......

Well There's my problem................... (sigh)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Many years ago someone told me toadd amoniato my car's windshield washer fluid. it took off the bugs like right now. It really worked well. Then I noticed that the clearcoat on my car's paint was dulling. No more amonia.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I've used Plexus, but I like 210 brand better and it's cheaper than Plexus. American Enterprises recommends it for the Tulsa Tall I have. Wingstuff sells it as well. On another similar thread, others have mentioned the Novus products--they have three grades for use on no scratch, minor scratch, bigger scratch surfaces.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Lemon Pledge even works on my severly swirled windshield, makes it look like new. Works on everything except thetires :smiler:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I use Plexus on my windscreen almost daily and on my LCD monitors/TV about semi annually. I cringe when I see someone using Windex and paper towels on either one.:shock:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
imported post

My father used to build Plexiglass display cases for small businesses. He was a firm believer in Novus products for polishing and cleaning. To this day I still have some but I've added others to the shelf. I have a Tulsa tall that I use 210 polish for cleaning and polishing. On the road I use Novus no. 1 for cleaning the windshield. Recently I've tried the Meguiars Plastx with great results in polishing plastic headlights and some scratches on the Tulsa and I was impressed how easily it worked. My thing is find one you like and try it. The big thing you have to remember is that you dont polish a windshield like a car and you cant press really hard when you polish. Up and down, top to bottom ,and not side to side is how you do it. Go the other direction on a sunny day and youll see why. Take your time and use clean soft cloths with no fabric softener on them
and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

mclock wrote:
The last guy that worked on my bike got brake fluid on my windshield which left these white spots all over and now I wish I would have taken before and after pictures but anyway I went to wally world and bought Meguiars motorcycle plastic cleaner/polish and it took some time some rubbingand many applications but it did do one heck of a job.
I was ready to buy a new shield since mine was so scratched, it was tough to see through at night with headlight glare. I bought some Meguiars motorcycle plastic cleaner/polish and can't believe the difference. No glare now and it's so clear, I can't believe it! This stuff works on a scratched windshield. If your shield is already in great shape, pledge is the king!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.