Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm asking all members to please include a pre-trip in all your rides. Was headed out this morning & while checking air pressure in the rear tire the valve stem came off in my hand. Had I not done the inspection I can only imagine what kind of ride I had to come. It only takes a minute but I'd rather see you lose a couple of minutes of ride time instead of the other option. Oh well, seems like a good time to replace the tires since it'll be easy to do.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

An excellent heads up and reminder Lopeha. :clapper:

I have to hold my hand up and admit that I am not good at doing this and tend to jump right on and go all too often. :(

All too often my "pre-ride" tends to be more about finding my keys and remembering that I need the toilet, just when I have all my gear on, than doing a visual check of tyres etc.

I will try and be more careful from here on.:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
An excellent heads up and reminder Lopeha. :clapper:

I have to hold my hand up and admit that I am not good at doing this and tend to jump right on and go all too often. :(

All too often my "pre-ride" tends to be more about finding my keys and remembering that I need the toilet, just when I have all my gear on, than doing a visual check of tyres etc.

I will try and be more careful from here on.:waving:
Didn't take you long at all to notice my low rear tire at Calhoun that Sunday morning when I was departing for home!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

We all need to pay more attention to our tires, that's for sure.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

There should be a cottin pickin recall on those blasted air valves!!! I've read of several that got killed, when those
$.02 cent pos's break off at 70 mph. Honda otta be proud !! Get rid of those suckers !!! QUICK !!!!! A friend of mine almost lost his. I showed him, when you push it towards rim, the base actually let air out. Ready to break clear off? GRRRR

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Lopeha is dead right on.......

Think I mentioned this before, but, what the heck......!

On our last Alaska trip, my Dunlop E-3 on the back of my old 1500 was gettin' thin and near the end of it's service life. I wanted to replace it up in Anchorage, but they were goin' for pure gold up there, and so I decided to try and make it home on it......

then I forgot about it, and towards home, like we all do, I started puttin' in some long hot mileage, fast and furious mileage, 85 miles per hour.......

Safely home, I went out to check the rear and just about fainted away..... a strip of cord about 16" long was showing through.... I shudder just to think of it! Dumb luck in action! A good daily pre-ride check would have prevented that.

I don't mind killing myself with sheer stupidity, but Red? I would have spun in my grave for eternity........

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Don't head for NW Arkansas unless you have your ice tires on.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
while checking air pressure in the rear tire the valve stem came off in my hand.

When was the last time the valve stems were replaced? How long ago in miles, tires, or years? Any idea?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I pay $3/stem when the tires are changed. Who out there values their lives at $3 ?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Better yet, who out there, in an effort to save money, mount their own tires, and don't replace the stem?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Better yet, who out there, in an effort to save money, mount their own tires, and don't replace the stem?
My guess is the same ones that either don't put the support bridge back in or don't tie it to the stems. Next thing you know we are taking up a collection for them. :?

Odd part is I practically have to bust my tire guy to do a new stem every time. More than once he says it looks fine. So I tell him to pull it and use it on his bike and I'll take a new one for $3.

I guess it's because he sells more to Harley guys and he tells me most times they won't have him change them. In that one case, I approve. :dude:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

stem with every tire, even on the cars and trucks

I remember when at the shop we had lots of stem issues. Some of the mechs hated changing them and a lot of customers didn't mind not having to pay for a new one. Honda and Harley forced changes on some bikes. Not sure if the GL was in there.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

When I had my new rear dunlop E-3 installed by the local dealer back in October I stopped at the local NAPA store and bought a pack of 2 new shorty 1/2" stems. At the Honda dealer I pulled one of them out and handed it to the mech mounting my tire and he looks at me, grins and says NICE!!!

Always, new tire, new stem. Worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

I'm getting new Tires & Brakes this spring, I'll have to remember this, I always get new ones on my Truck

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

don't put the support bridge back in or don't tie it to the stems

Rudy, not to sound like a total moron, but what is this.

Ritchie:baffled:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I have had the metal stems put in the last two tires I had mounted, Im sure that they will not last forever but a lot longer than the rubber ones , get the angled ones.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Here is an excerpt from wingworld:

http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/may2003/magazine/article/tirechecks.html

For example, at a recent touring rally, Dunlop checked over 300 bikes. Based on visual inspection and tread depth measurements, some of the bikes checked should have had new tires before they got to the rally. Some riders were amazed to learn they had nails or cuts in their tires, or that their tires were badly cupped or were worn thin. The Dunlop examiners revealed that more than 10 percent of the bikes they weighed were overloaded and nearly 60 percent were under-inflated including 77 out of 129 GL1500s and 13 out of 22 GL1800s.
As we talked, Mike shared another bit of maintenance that is little understood. Owners should also check the condition of their tires’ valve stems and be sure the original Gold Wing GL1500 and GL1800 valve stem clips are properly installed. “Whenever tires are replaced, the installer should replace the valve stems with the proper 90-degree bent valve stems and he should restore Honda’s valve stem clips securely to their place. These clips are there for a good reason—they prevent the valve stems from being overflexed when using an air hose. Maybe these clips seem like a small detail, but they’re there for your protection. They shouldn’t be discarded or improperly installed.”

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Here is an excerpt from wingworld:

http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/may2003/magazine/article/tirechecks.html

For example, at a recent touring rally, Dunlop checked over 300 bikes. Based on visual inspection and tread depth measurements, some of the bikes checked should have had new tires before they got to the rally. Some riders were amazed to learn they had nails or cuts in their tires, or that their tires were badly cupped or were worn thin. The Dunlop examiners revealed that more than 10 percent of the bikes they weighed were overloaded and nearly 60 percent were under-inflated including 77 out of 129 GL1500s and 13 out of 22 GL1800s.

This doesn't supprise me at all...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Tire spins up, centrifugal force "walks" that stem towards rim. The support does not stop this action. Try it. Get your front wheel at a point where you can see the stem. (or rear wheel) Push the end of the stem towards wheel. Notice that the stem moves a considerable amount towards wheel. There-in lies the problem. Even rubber will fail with countless flexings. Like constantly bending a wire. I read where one guy's stem completely busted off at speed. Not a good thing. Turkey tie that thing to the support, at minimum. I used 2 of them, in black. The clear ones, and some colored ties don't seem to hold up with time. That support only prevents the stem from being pushed out the other way by a tire gauge or tire air filler chuck.
I just find it amazing that Honda does nothing about this fault built in to their wheel assy. They're finally gone with 09's, at least on the TPMS versions. But, I still don't know if TPMS is an option on them, or not. Here's what their stem looks like.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Here's an impending catastrophe in the making.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Been there:X Was getting ready for the first SERRASJ ride that I could make, after as much grief that I caught from Rudy on missing the first one, I wasn't about to miss the next one. Change oil in the bike, cleaned it up, checked the front tire air and was getting ready to check the rear, and the valve stem flew off. 5:45 on Friday afternoon.....by the time I got the wheel off.....and half the rear end, Honda was closing...they told me they could get it Saturay morning.....we were leaving at 6am, so that was out:cooldevil:.....Found a little shop that the owner works on bikes..he was locking the door when I pulled in. He opened back up and $35.00 later I was back putting the bike back together....made the ride and no parts fell off, so I guess I got it back together right:cheeky1:......now, valve stems are checked before EVERY ride:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.