Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
Brakes, I usually replace the brake lines, new caliper seals and master cylinder rebuild kits. If that bike has the original brake lines they are due to be replaced. There are people on this site that will flush and fill the brakes. It is up to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
To change brake/clutch fluid I suck or sop all the old fluid from the master cylinder, then ad some fresh fluid pump the handle/pedal to get the gunk out of the cylinder, sop out the fluid again and add fresh and bleed. This way no air gets in.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Just in case you are not aware... you want to be very careful with how you handle some of the parts on the GL1200 Standard as they are made from unobtainium. If you misplace, lose, or break them, it may take you years to find a replacement. The front run signal brackets, the plastic pieces that cover radiator opening, the seat grab rail to name a few.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hello again,

I had a bit of time today and opened up the timing belt, I ordered some things from Amazon.com, timing belts, carb rebuild kits, fork seals, brake pads, filters and all maintenance items.

Some more questions if you don't mind answering:

1- Both the brake and clutch master cylinders are dried and rusted, site glass broken and diaphragm ripped, is it better just to buy the two site glasses and diaphragms and rebuild? or just buy any generic sets like the link below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-For-Honda-Goldwing-1200-GL1200A-1984-1987/162140082098?epid=2163901142&hash=item25c04d4fb2:g:xJ4AAOSwoydWizIJ

This is listed as 1", but my handlebar width are 22mm or 7/8" so can I buy this and shim it? I can't find both the left and right sets anywhere

2- In the picture of the disc attached, there are no holes to use a Disc Lock, how do you guys protect your bikes against theft? when left on the streets? can I drill a couple of holes on the disk? below the pad grip zones?

3- Is there a way to easily hand polish all the metal parts on this bike to bring back some shine and luster? everything is faded or rusted. what product do you guys recommend?

4- Can I use any generic fuel pump for this bike? any brands other then Honda oem?

Thanking you all again for your time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Hello again,

1- Both the brake and clutch master cylinders are dried and rusted, site glass broken and diaphragm ripped, is it better just to buy the two site glasses and diaphragms and rebuild? or just buy any generic sets like the link below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-For-Honda-Goldwing-1200-GL1200A-1984-1987/162140082098?epid=2163901142&hash=item25c04d4fb2:g:xJ4AAOSwoydWizIJ

This is listed as 1", but my handlebar width are 22mm or 7/8" so can I buy this and shim it? I can't find both the left and right sets anywhere

2- In the picture of the disc attached, there are no holes to use a Disc Lock, how do you guys protect your bikes against theft? when left on the streets? can I drill a couple of holes on the disk? below the pad grip zones?

3- Is there a way to easily hand polish all the metal parts on this bike to bring back some shine and luster? everything is faded or rusted. what product do you guys recommend?

1. I'd try looking for OEM parts maybe even from a motorcycle Junk Yard or recycler.

2. If it were me I wouldn't drill the rotor. If you want to lock up the bike a good strong lock and thick cable like for a heavy duty winch one for the front and one for the rear tire routed around the frame would slow down the process of stealing the bike. Don't forget to remove before riding off !!!! Of course if someone wanted to steal it bad enough nothing will stop them.

3. Mother's metal polish - by hand won't be easy - but is doable - if you have a drill get a polishing attachment type buffing wheel to help speed up the process.

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
Hello again,

I had a bit of time today and opened up the timing belt, I ordered some things from Amazon.com, timing belts, carb rebuild kits, fork seals, brake pads, filters and all maintenance items.

4- Can I use any generic fuel pump for this bike? any brands other then Honda oem?

If yours are rebuildable do that. Those replacements don't look like they have the necessary brake and clutch switches and no goldwing has 1" handlebars, they are all 22mm (7/8").

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
I would definitely rebuild the Honda systems, and if you need a fuel pump, I believe new ones are still available from Honda. Pay the price as they are worth the extra money.

That bike isn't that bad. I helped a friend recondition an '84 that was in worse shape.

These example pics show basically what we started with and what some labor transformed.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm very grateful to you all for pushing me along.

I ordered a bunch of parts, timing belt and all other maintenance items, but since I live in Kuwait it'l take a good month or so until I get them.

Meanwhile I removed the carbs and cleaned them using guides from here, I removed the secondary air unit (picture 1), purely for ease of carb removal, cleaner looks and the fact that I'm a minimalist so it gave me immense joy, I used a steel plate and some RTV sealant to cover that hole, picture 2.

Then I went to a local machine shop and had them make me four plugs for the holes on the engine, picture 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I understand you are in Kuwait, but your voice sounds upper eastern USA.
Are you over there as a teacher?

I'm an OkieTexMex guy and had not problems understanding you at all.
Thanks John, I'm from Iran, but lived and worked most of my life here in Kuwait, raised a family and now work as a warehouse manager in a transport company.

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
I'm very grateful to you all for pushing me along.

I ordered a bunch of parts, timing belt and all other maintenance items, but since I live in Kuwait it'l take a good month or so until I get them.
I do hope you mean belts, as in 2 of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I do hope you mean belts, as in 2 of them.
Yes Dave, I ordered:

2 Timing belts
2 Air filters
5 Oil filters
Spark plugs
Solenoid
Rectifier
3 brake pad sets
Carb rebuild kit
Fuel filter
Fork seals and some other miscellaneous parts.

For the brakes I have a bit of dilemma, both the brakes and clutch master cylinders need a rebuild kit and both the sight glasses are broken with a lot of corrosion and rust inside, both the diaphragms are also torn, individual oem parts are very expensive for this bike so I just both two new sets for Honda Valkarya for 30$ that will fit my bike (picture 1), the only snag I see with this setup is that I won't be able to use the choke lever, for that I bought a Harley choke pull cable (picture 2), I think I can make a small bracket somewhere down near the carbs to fit this.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Progress Update:

She got her golden wings back, fuel system rebuilt, seals and vacuum hoses all changed, brakes and clutch work like new, cooling system flushed, electricals all done up and carbs adjusted properly, all she needs now is to be registered, I thank all the wonderful people in this awesome forum for the hand holding and I'm sure to be asking a lot more related question.

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
Sounds like it's got a miss and a terrible rattle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sounds like it's got a miss and a terrible rattle.
Thanks Dave,

That was only the second start, I still have not received the spark plugs so it's on the old plugs as of yet. I'm not familiar with how a healthy engine should sound like, I have a really basic knowledge of bike workings and would like to try and expand my knowledge and fix it myself, maybe if it runs a bit things will oil up and get unstuck? There is noise and smoke coming from the exhaust port, bit of white smoke coming out of the tailpipes, I thought it would clear up soon, or maybe there's a leak in the exhaust. I did not check the float heights when I had the carbs open, only cleaned the jets and body, should I do that task?

What do you recommend me to check? by a "Miss" do you mean a misfire? where do I check for the rattle? could it be stuck valves that need lubrication? should I take another video at a specific rpm?

Should I do a compression test? should I verify that I have spark at the cylinders? should I check the ignition coils?

A member here was kind enough to give me his carb sync tool, so I'll sync them later in the future.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts