Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I changed out the speakers on my 94 SE I did the read first and they sounded great. Took everything apart in the front what a job not hard but you know. Installed the front speakers put things back together and turned the radio on. All the speakers are working but the volume is really low. Anyone out there that can help me please do I wanted to ride today. But do not want to finish putting things back until I find out whats wrong. All 4 speakers are J&M. Please HELP someone!
Thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Not sure how low low is. :?

Nor am I familiar with the J&M speakers.

If you got 8 ohm speakers that could be a cause.
Just not enough info here to process yet.

Any chance the mute button got pressed while you were working?
How about the intercom mute?

Bad fader?

:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Ya not enough info really.

Do the jm speakers require an amplifier because i know some do.

Anyway i replaced mine with high grade marine speakers for the weatherproof

qualitys and didnt have any probs.

Do you have a fader control? Maybe it got turned in the process

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

J&M says these are direct replacement speakers 4 ohms I did check the mute button it was not on but when I put it on it made no difference. I do have a fader and it is working. When I put the rear speakers in first they sounded fine no change in volume but after the front change that when I no have a problem. I see the mute come on on the display but it changes nothing. I even disconnected the rear speakers no difference.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Not sure how low low is. :?

Nor am I familiar with the J&M speakers.

If you got 8 ohm speakers that could be a cause.
Just not enough info here to process yet.

Any chance the mute button got pressed while you were working?

Bad fader?

:?:?:?

Where is this at? maybe that is it?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

So if you disconnect the front speakers again, do the rear speakers return to normal volume, like before you added the fronts?

Also, if you were not in mute and then went to mute, it should actually get lower.

Did you remove the radio or the plug from the back of it?

Also turn OFF the CB and the Intercom completely.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I took the hole front back apart again and installed all 4 of the stock speakers and it still does not have anything but LOW volume. I checked and the J&M speakers are 3 ohms also not 4. I have checked and rechecked all the connections. I looked at the CB I did not see where I can cut it off. I turned both knobs all the way to the left. I took the front apart where the mute button is and cleaned it and sprayed it with contact cleaner. I see the mute come on the display screen when I push the button but it does not change anything NO difference when it is on than off. I wonder if the mute could be bad any way to bypass it? Anyone know if i can cut the wires to the mute and do away with it?
This SUCKS! New speakers and I can not even enjoy them. One thing for sure it did not take me no where as long to take everything back apart the second time. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE........

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

put your hand under the neck of the radio and push in all the connectors is your fader mounted on the ignation pannell check this also Rudy is the ampfused inside the radio any chancehe had the radio on whenhe changed the front and maybe shorted a wire

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I have checked all the connection to the radio the 2 white and the one yellow along with the antenna. The mute button when pushed shows up on the display but it does not change anything to the volume. Maybe the mute button is bad? Can I bypass it to find out? I also checked the fuse in the relay box they are all fine no blown ones.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi whit i dought mute is gone bad just as you changed the speakers the fuse iam talking about is inside the radio its self a little tiny one iam just trying to confirm with rudy if this runs the amp and maybe its blowen so the radio will still work but no volume

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi whit i dought mute is gone bad just as you changed the speakers the fuse iam talking about is inside the radio its self a little tiny one iam just trying to confirm with rudy if this runs the amp and maybe its blowen so the radio will still work but no volume
I hope that is it but I don't understand why nothing changes when I push the Mute BUTTON? Do you know how to reset the radio? I was looking in so trouble shooting and it said reset the radio system.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

as far as i know the mute shuts off the amp so if the amp is not working the mute will make no differance you can open the switch just to make sure to reset the radio you will need to pull the fuse in the relay box or disconect one of the battery leads just off hand will the cb work on the speakers if you press in the squlsh button it transfers from head set to speakers and if you push the volume button it powers off the cb make sure the cb volume is turned up and the squlsh down you will see the indicator in the cb window

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

whitlow wrote:
agnogel wrote:
I hope that is it but I don't understand why nothing changes when I push the Mute BUTTON? Do you know how to reset the radio? I was looking in so trouble shooting and it said reset the radio system.
To reset any electronics part you take off the power for a good while or short the +to the _ wire so the unit will lose all power that is stored up in the capacitor

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I did pull the 5 amp fuse in the relay box to see if it was blown it was good. Would this have reset the radio system? I know the preset radio stations are still there.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

disconnect one of the battery leads

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

whitlow wrote:
I did pull the 5 amp fuse in the relay box to see if it was blown it was good. Would this have reset the radio system? I know the preset radio stations are still there.
No it did not you need to lose all power

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

.:?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Rudy Help! Is there a internal fuse in the radio for the amp?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

First thing today I checked all the fuses again and none of them were bad. I called Sierra Electrical and talked to them they told me there was only 2 things that would cause the low volume that was the fuse and the board in the rear where the plugs go into the radio. I told them what I had done and they told me the first thing I did wrong was to remove the radio when installing the speakers. I told them that was how I was told to do it he told me that when I unplugged or plugged the radio p after I had it out I most likely cracked the board in the rear the has the plug on it. He said they crack very easy and when they do the radio no longer get the full power to the amp and thats why it has low volume. He said to leave the radio in place and never unplug it unless you really have too. I took it back out and I sending it to them tomorrow he said it would cost me $100.00 and about a 2 week turn around. That sucks but what can I say. He told me the board was most likely already crack a bit thats why the cassette player would not open or opperate. So there is a good chance I'll have a tape player when I get it back also.
Thanks To Everyone who HELPED me with this.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi whitlow wile your at it you may want to concider to get them to wire in the MP3 conector for you a lot of guys here have sent the radio to them for it i think the postage is the bigest cost, sorry you couldent get it going your self

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.