Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how many 4 cylinder Wings are still on the road today or sitting in your shed or in your yard.

Could you please take a few minutes to go here; http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/WING4/

and fill in the details on your Wing. Tell a friend, if you can, to place his bike in the registry also.

Thank you.

Vic

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I hear you Vic.:)

Just thought I'd let you know that what you are getting going is,IMHO, isnecessary for the survival of the species.

I've got to go get my VIN off my title or registration, which ever I can find first.:action:

Regards,

Hobiewan:11red:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

In My Humble Opinion. Sorry Vic, I too have succumbed to internet shorthand. :gunhead:

Hobie

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sorry Vic,If I gave you my information,I'd have to Kill You:gunhead:

That would be fine MR. 1200, I need the rest, but, first fill out the registry info please.

Thanks Hobie, I've always wondered what that meant, now I know.

Vic

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Word of advice guys. It is highly recommended by law enforcement agencies that you DO NOT give out your VIN and Frame numbers etc as they can be used to clone or 'ring' your vehicle thereby increasing the theft of that particular model.

No disrespect to the author of this thread as this could well be as I suspect, a 100% genuine request but if I was an owner I would be careful before releasing this type of information as I might as well just give over my registration document.

:gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I was just wondering who was going to think of what Littlejohn has just said. This is a dicey game, :whip: so everyone be careful before you decide to part with that info. :stumped: Anyway i was just wondering how many cylinders my neighbours :18red:has.

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
Word of advice guys. It is highly recommended by law enforcement agencies that you DO NOT give out your VIN and Frame numbers etc as they can be used to clone or 'ring' your vehicle thereby increasing the theft of that particular model.

No disrespect to the author of this thread as this could well be as I suspect, a 100% genuine request but if I was an owner I would be careful before releasing this type of information as I might as well just give over my registration document.

:gunhead:

I do agree with Littlejohn, I'll be more than happy to put my wing in the registry but without my VIN number. :cool:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Littlejohn

Littlejohn say's, "No disrespect to the author of this thread as this could well be as I suspect, a 100% genuine request but if I was an owner I would be careful before releasing this type of information as I might as well just give over my registration document."

No disrespect meant in return.

Thanks Littlejohn, for creating an unneccesary sense of paranoia as it just makes it a lot harder to get the four cylinder guys together. I would imagine that you must drive a six cylinder Wing? What you are saying is akin to running through a theatre yelling fire when there is no fire.

Are you guys aware that all of the engine and frame numbers for all Gold Wings built are freely available on the internet?

There is nothing to stop any dishonest person from randomly using those numbers to clone or ring any Gold Wing of any year or modeland it could be yours.

Now everyone can stay up at night and worry all together.

If anyone can come up with a way to identify our bikes without the VIN please step forward and speak up and don't just say it's red or blue or yellow with two wheels.

I'm looking way past the dishonest people with this registry because they'll be out there no matter what. The thing I'm looking for is guys who are proud of their 4 cylinder Wings and want to keep in touch with one another with the 4 cylinder Wing being their bond.

If you can figure out a way to hide your VIN (just use the last 5 or 6 numbers)then do so, but, please join the registry if you have a 4 cylinder Wing because as the years go by you'll appreciate the registries benefits more and more.

Go to the reigistry site and look it over carefully http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/WING4/

If you find anything suspicious or malicious about it, please let me know immediately at [email protected]

Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Littlejohn

Respectfully I ask you, why do all vehicle manufacturers place the VIN out in plain and easy view if it is so critical to security and privacy?

The VIN simply denotes the vehicles year, country of origin, make and model, engine, options and the series it was built in.

The important and privatenumbers are on the registration papers in your wallet.

Vic

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I have to agree 100% with Littlejohn. The registry is a nice idea but the level of detail required seems OTT, IMHO :)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Guys, are the VIN's posted on the steering head portion of the frames of bikesand on the dash, accessible from the outside of the cars over there, in plain view for everyone to see?

Over here in North America, all the motorcycles and cars have the VIN in plain view so that you can read it clearly without straining. Those numbers simply identify the type of vehicle you're driving.

The VIN is kind of like the plate on the outside of the vehicle that say's Honda or Ford or Chevrolet, only it details the options on the vehicle and when and how many were made.

It must be different in the U.K.

Respectfully, Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The registration number (license plate number)is the one to keep out of public view, not the VIN.

I don't know how to get this across any clearer except to ask you, " Do you know what a VIN (vehicle identification number) signifies and can you read one?"

If you don't know what the VIN signifies please let me know and I'll lay it out for you clearly.

It has nothing at all to do with the owner of the vehicle, the VIN only shows year and location the vehicle was built and the various options and engines it might have and the numbers of this particular model that were manufactured.

Respectfully, Vic

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

I have to concur with Goldwinger 1984: all VINs in N.A. are clearly visible. Walk up to any vehicle and read it off. Nothing to it and it must be visible by law.

OTOH, I think LittleJohn was offering his advice in a good way and GW's response may have been a bit "harsh." :gunhead::p

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I do apologize if I came across as sounding harsh. That was not my intention. It's just difficult to get a bunch of guys together on anything and adding paranoia to the mix just makes the job that much more difficult.

There are manywho feel confident about posting the info on theirWings as the list has grown in one day from a couple of bikesto 90 Wings registered in just one day.

Littlejohn, I sincerely appreciate your good intentions and I hope and pray that we'll never see a dark side on this matter, but, the dishonest can take take advantage of us anytime they want to and there is nothing we can do about it.

Hopefully, over time, the benefits of the registry will become readily apparent and we'll be glad we organized it.

I can see benefits already because I can now get in touch with other Gold Wing owners in my area and invite them to share some road and a coffeewith me on a beautiful sunny day.

If you feel uncomfortable at all about entering the registry then stay away from it, but, for all others please come out and let us get to know you and your 4 cylinder Wing.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/WING4/

Vic

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

This sort of subject will always get mixed responses. Many cars now have the VIN on a plate on the dashboard (BMW, Ford etc...) so anyone can see it plainly if they want to. Having said that, if you feel uneasy about posting it on the web I can understand. Best thing in that case is to just not participate.

Perhaps having the VINs only visible to the registry owners would be better?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

My wifes Volkswagen car has the VIN plate on the dash, easily seen from outside. This seems to be getting a normal practise with cars now. All the Wing VIN numbers are easily available on www.goldwinginfo.comfor almost every year of production.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.