Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey yall,i just added some sea foam to my oil and gas on my 81 gl1100 i never used it befor i got the idea from this forum. well when i did i rode it about 4 miles and when i got home the thing almost caught on fire oil and gas was all over the motor right under the carbs and got all over the xhaust what could have happen???????????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Sonds like a hose split, check them first , maybe carb seals?

How much did you put in? Gas and Oil ?

If your engine didn't go "BANG","CLANG","CLUCK" and stop, you're OK, nothing major!

Wait for some smarter guys then me to reply!!

Don't start it up again, may have to drain the fluids and put fresh in ?!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I have used Sea Foam several times in my Wing, truck and car and never had any problems. The only thing I can think of right off hand is maybe the Sea Foam loosened up some crud around the fuel line fitting and it started leaking? I don't think crud around the seals could have dissolved that fast causing leaks. If it did, you have bigger problems anyway!

Did it stop leaking as soon as you shut the bike off or did you need to shut the pet **** off at the tank?

Like wingdawg101suggested, check all your hoses and fittings first. You didn't say how much Sea Foam you added but it should have been 1oz of Sea Foam per gallon of gas. I only put about 5 or 6 oz in my Wing crankcase. Then I run it 200-300 miles before I change the oil and filter.

Bob
:11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

First check the oil level in your crankcase to make sure it hasn't flooded with gas. It's remotely possible that a stuck carb float could cause that if your petcock didn't cut off. You didn't say if this occurred with the engine running or not. Take it outside, wash it down with engine cleaner, rinse it off with a hose and see if you can find the leak, as large as you're describing it shouldn't be hard to find. Crank the engine with the kill switch off if you need to find the source. I can't think of anything at the moment that would cause both oil and gas to leak out other than a flooded case. Hopefully some of the other guys will have better ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have just added Sea Foam to my gas for the second time. I have used
1/2 can with a tank of gas. This is about twice as stromg as the can
recomends. I have 1 carb running very lean just off idle and I'm trying
to get it to clean out. I have not had any problems mixed this strong.
I have not tried it in the oil. If I add something to the oil, it will
probably be MMO, as it is more oil based.
You may want to check the crankcase ventilation. Just a guess, but it
sound like some blowby is causing pressure in the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hey thanks guys i was outside cleaning the bike w/degreaser and am about to crank it back up and see whats going on i put 4 oz in 4 gal. of gas and 5 oz in oil i think my left side valve guide is bad gonna see what happens it was leaking as i was riding the bike and noticed it when i turned it off thanks again will update soon THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

JUST GOT BACK FROM A VERY SHORT RIDE AROUND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD AND GOT THE BIKE WARMED UP AND NOTHING HAPPEN SO ILL JUST HAVE TO CHEK IT TOMMOROW AFTER I TAKE MY BOY TO SKOOL THANX AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Keep us informed ?

Don't ride any passengers untill you get it fixed !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

speedracer wrote:
hey thanks guys i was outside cleaning the bike w/degreaser and am about to crank it back up and see whats going on i put 4 oz in 4 gal. of gas and 5 oz in oil i think my left side valve guide is bad gonna see what happens it was leaking as i was riding the bike and noticed it when i turned it off thanks again will update soon THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt the problem is a leaking valve guide, think you mean the valve cover is leaking. That's an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hey EX it smokes on the left side for about 5 min. when its been sitting for a day or two

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That sounds like the usual leaking valve stem seals. Does it smoke if you leave it on the center stand? Usually it won't, only when you park it on the side stand. Smoking for five minutes seems like quite a while though, in the normal way of things they smoke for a minute or so then clear up.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

havent tried it on the center stand but i will tonight thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.