Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok long time coming. I have finaly put my 1200 back together after replacing the clutch and stator all went well until start time.

FirstI noticed after trying to start the bike that the green light for the neutaral safty switch is not on. Odd I thought becuase it is in neutral. I gave up and took it to a local mechanic that has had the bike for this is the third week.

He can't fique it out why it is not getting spark,andI thinkI am payinghis way thoughGoldwingU at $65 an hour

Can anyone tell me if the neutral safty swich cuts off the spark to a 84 interstate? if so where did somthing get disconnected when removing or putting engine back into bike? the engine never came all the way out nor did the carbs just turned on floor jackand thenreplacment of stator and cluch.

Thanks in advace for any help!I have the feeling that it isgetting so the bike is worth less than the bill this sucks!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

no it doesn't.... did he have the "transmssion cover" off, cannot imagine why he would, but the netral switch is located there

or the jerk didn;t connect all the connectors (most likely)

did he offer KY?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I could be wrong.....usually I am....but I don't think the neutral green light being extinguished would prevent the bike from getting spark. I think they are separate systems. Will it start if you have it in gear with the clutch engaged? The green light out could be something as simple as a burned out bulb?

Did the mechanic/student check the coils? Did he pull the plugs to see if there is spark to the electrode? How about the plug wires? Starter relay and that useless 30 amp dogbone fuse?

Just throwing some stuff out there. Obvious and probably already thought of.

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

The neutral light has nothing to do with the ignition. On the 84 the pulse generators are in the rear cover. Is it possible you did not get them reconnected when you put it back together?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the neutral switch is not working and the neutral light doesn't come on the starter won't work but that doesn't affect the ignition. If the engine will turn over with the starter the neutral switch most likely is working. It might be something as simple as a disconnected switch cable, a neutral lamp that's out or possibly not connected. It sure doesn't take much effort to see if the spark plugs are firing, just disconnect one leave it laying on the engine block with the wire connected and crank the engine. If you see a spark the ignition system is working. I'd advise getting your bike away from this 'mechanic' and find one who knows what he's doing, this isn't rocket science.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.