60 miles from home
3rd member blew up,
Good Sam sending help some day?

Haven't heard from the tow service yet 😐

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,728 Posts
1st, Rex and all who helped put on NASR-14; you guys did it awesome, and more than made up for the illusive '9' that we never really saw..... well, at least we all had a good time after running off the host.

Now, THE REST OF THE STORY:

Home Safe. Glad we had just topped off the truck's fuel tank, used a 1/4 tank to keep us and the dogs cool, before we got help ...

7 wrecking yards called, none of them would come get us.

Finally a Rollback wrecker was passing us, and a guy ( who stopped to see if we need help ) who used to be a wrecker driver, recognized him and flagged him down for us.

He backed up.... his wife and kid with him done 3 calls today already, lives in Miami, OK; headed to Sapulpa to get another job to take to Bartlesville.

Anyway, he has to call his boss to get permission, then Good Sam Roadside Assistance, has to call his Boss to give the required payment info.

All that done, and this driver does NOT know how to use a Rollback. He let his winch unspool, so it is "broke".

I put the truck in 4-low and it crawls up on the Rollback, rear tires just get off the ground and the bed is so oily, the burb can't climb any higher.... I yelled at the Driver "Bring the bed up level, so I can drive forward"

He says I have to tie it down first..... I tell him again, I need to drive all the way forward, he refuses.....

He ties the burb down where it is, rear tires 4 inches from the rear of the bed.

Now, our max speed forward going home is 58 mph, because the rear end of the wrecker is trying to get in front of the whole shebang!!!

We get the burb in our yard, and he does NOT know how to release the Tow Straps!!!
I could not believe this, but after seeing the winch unspooled, figured it must be his first day on the job???

I have to show him how to release the Tow Strap latches, and then I have to run the bed to get the truck down, as he has to climb up into the burb, because no steps that I can use to get up there….

At least he leaves it in neutral and it rolls off the truck….

Quite a story to tell all over the world, but at least we are home safe, and the tow bill is paid in full by my Good Sam Insurance…. Guess that paid off finally????

Used it 3 times before in one trip moving from Arizona to Oklahoma…. All for the Avion which blew 5 tires out.

Oh, the real Rest of the Story.....
the Rollback guy does not know how to tow our RV behind his flat bed with it loaded ????????????

so, Cynthia calls a fellow Rural Postal Carrier lady, and she drives her 1 ton pickup to where we are, and pulls the Toy Hauler to our house.

Oh, the final end to the story - the Rollback driver has his family with him, she is larger than .... well, big enough.... that I have one hip on the seat and the other between the seat and the right side door..... ouch!~~~

Now, the helpful postal carrier lady, has a single cab pickup, so 3 big dogs won't fit with Cynthia in there, so I pickup Missy, all 110 lbs of her, and carry her in my lap, with the driver's wife in the middle, holding their 2 year old son..... who is really unhappy, his car seat was removed so I could fit in the truck....

·
Administrator
62,728 Posts
Found a Ford Excursion 7.3L diesel that has really caught my eye, 29 hours until the Bids are done.
4x4, front Winch, Texas Pipe Bumpers, ex-Fire Chief truck.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Cloud

·
Administrator
62,728 Posts
Sorry for your problem John even though I don't quietly understand what went wrong with it. What do you mean by THIRD MEMBER BLEW UP ?
I signed up with Good Sam because of your satisfaction with them but now you don't seem that happy
Good Sam did a Supreme Job of getting me taken care of, within 45 minutes, I was transferred to a Top Level Supervisor, who then called the Office Headquarters of the Rollback truck driver who "just happened by and stopped" to help me. They talked to that driver, got his HQ phone number, then gave HQ a Ticket Number to pay for the tow in full, no arguments, just paid it off like a slot machine.

Now, Good Sam's 1st line telephone service called 7 different shops trying to get a wrecker sent out to me.
There was a variety of excuses as to why they could not, or would not take me home....
I highly suspect it was the issue with me being in Kansas and I wanted to go home to Oologah, Oklahoma;
not to a repair shop in Kansas....

The Rollback driver did a good job, his wife and small child took a hit because the Child Seat had to be removed, the wife slid to the middle of the bench seat, and I then sat on the seat next to the door, the Driver then picked up Missy ( 110 lbs of Great Perenees doggie ) and put her in my lap....

that single cab truck got awfully crowded, very fast.....

I gave the wife some cash for her personally for allowing me to ride with her......
Told her, that is Hers Only, no one is to know about the "Tip" for her....

I have been with Good Sam for 30 years plus, and never had one complaint as to how Good Sam takes care of you when you have troubles.....
When we moved from Arizona to Oklahoma, I had to call them 5 times, for the same Avion triple axle trailer that was blowing out the tires.... :(

Good Sam, like all Insurance Companies, have different Policies for Different Reasons.

I have 3 policies with them.
1) Roadside Assistance/Towing no mileage limit ( this is what got me home for 'free' )​
2) Medical Assistance: this policy will hire a Commercial Driver to take your rig, RV, MH, motorcycle, whatever and deliver it to your home. While you are incapacitated in a hospital..... God Forbid that happens to me, but you never know.​
3) can't remember what that policy does, but it is the main Membership policy.... small taters compared to the other two.​

I looked at AAA, Geico, AllState, Farmers, Progressive, et all....
None of them can come close to Good Sam for doing it right.

·
Administrator
62,728 Posts
I hope you get it.:)
used trucks used to be $5k
this truck will go past $15k when the bidding ends, that is the Reserve amount.

a friend of mine talked with me today, his wife has a 2001 Excursion in white, he just saw an eBay listing sell the identical vehicle for $61,000 o_O o_O o_O o_O

I will be lucky if no one bids, and I can get the Red one for $15k, here in Tulsa area, they are selling for $40k to 60k used 2001 to 2010 models.

·
Administrator
62,728 Posts
Obviously all know, we made it home safe, albeit behind a tow truck :(

the good news is, I won the Big Reg fire chiefs truck and have a flight out Tuesday morning to arrive in Kalispell, MT about 3 pm.

no one bid on the truck, it never went to reserve, so we negotiated a deal in between, I am very pleased with the acquisition.
Turns out the owner is an ex-firefighter, flies airplanes, and a lot of other parallels in our past lives.

we have made friends that will last, all over buying a truck.

·
Administrator
62,728 Posts
I too, missed my Recliner a lot.....
I sleep in it, it is an Electric model from Sam's Club, love it, adjust it where you want it, and it stays there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts