Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend with a 1990 GL1500 has just bought some of the orange lights to replace the reflectors in the side fairing. He has the plug and play connections already on the bike with the blanking plug still in but when the new lights are plugged in they do not light. The main headlight and all other lights are on but no power to the plug and play socket. We looked at fuses which seem ok so are we missing somewhere else that controls the power to these plug and play connections?

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
That connector is powered from the # 3 Tail Main Relay.

Are the following lights on.....??

1. Position lights (either side of the head lights).

2. Running "tail" lights below the saddlebags.

3. Does the gas gauge and temperature gauge work.

If you answer "yes" to all 3 above the relay # 3 is good.

Have you checked for power on the "brown/white" wire at that connector.....?? You can use a test light to check.....!

Have you checked for continuity to ground on the "green" wire at that connector....??

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info DBohrer. The answer is yes to all those points so the relay is good. I'll check the wire for power next Saturday as that is the earliest I will see the bike again and post the result.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the bike earlier today so had another look. The brown/white wire to the spot lamp connector was live so I spliced the new orange fairing lights into it on each side and they work now.
The 2 pin connector on the bike meant for these fairing lights was dead. I didn't bother to find out why since the lights are now working.
Thank you DBohrer for your advice...spot on.

Reactions: flylow
1 - 4 of 4 Posts