Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI JUST AN ENQUIRY TO QUESTION IS THERE A SECTION WITHIN THE BIKERS WORKSHOP FOR CHANGING ALL 6 PLUGS PLUS CHANGING THE EXHAUSTS AND COLLECTOR BOX ON A 1500 PLEASE. I HAVE A WORKSHOP MANUAL BUT HAVING A PROBLEM SEEING TO DO CORRECTLY.

REGARDS ROGER

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi roger the tutorial on syncing the carbsshows youthe way to get to the plugs but the exhaustboxes and collector box is for the more experianced macanic you will need to strip off all the lower farings the exhaust covers and the exhaust headers they have a habit of shearing off the bolts in the heads no matter how much wd40 you useasthere only 10mm bolts you cant force the collector box out you will cause to much damage and nigh on impossable to get back in without stripping every thing off, if you are going to do this make sure you have new clamps, gaskets, and header gaskets

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One good thing about the 1500 exhaust studs is they are necked down where they go through the headers. If one breaks off it will leave a thicker stub end sticking out of the head. That heavier stud end is much stronger, with some soaking with a penetrating oil and a large pair of Visegrips (or whatever you call locking pliers in the UK) there's a good chance the stud will come out of the head. I always put some aluminum anti-seize compound on bolts and studs that thread into aluminum to prevent future galling and seizing. I often head studs in aluminum with a torch and then cool off the joint where the stud goes into the threads with penetrating oil. The sudden cooling will shock the threads and also tend to suck the oil into the threads. A couple taps on the end of the stud will also help break the stud threads loose.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i usualy run the engine before i start removing exhaust header bolts. sometimes it helps getting it hot before you start. a pair of gloves helps with the hot stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.