Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1200 has 2 bad spark plug caps, and brittle wires. Has anyone just bought auto style 7MM wires with 90 degree boots? And does it interfere with radio operation? I can get a set for 23 dollars, compared to 26 dollars just for the caps from honda.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Resistor wires with regular boots are about the same thing as the solid core wires with the resistor boots so they shouldn't cause radio noise.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have read on here that some have done this with success. The OEM caps have resisitors built in to eliminate the static on the radio. I would think that if they are resistor type wires and caps you should be ok.

Alas..... there are others on here much wiser than I, and hopefully will be along soon.

Regards....... Dancinbear

Dang............ Dave snaked in on me while I wuz typing my reply:waving:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Wow, i did a search....lotsa ideas. Solid core wires will be a must, with resister plugs, iridium....

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The 90 degree boot plugs you'll find in the auto stores won't go deep enough to fit properly on the plug. Use straight ones.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I replaced my wires by using connectors you can buy along with yellow 7mm solid core copper wires with the straight ends. Works fine & much better spark. I also have Iridium plugs in the bike.

The auto style plugs need the large ends left on the plugs. The old Honda set up used the smaller threaded end. You may have to rob a set off some old plugs to make this work.

I bought a set of 8 plug wires (new) off ebay for about $10.00 so I have a spare set if something goes bad.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, I've been down south for a week. Got back yesterday, and bought a set of 7mm solid core Accel wires w/strait boots, and new plugs. Still shows weak spark on rear cylinders. I ordered a set of used coils off ebay. Coils check out OK, according to my meter, but I dread replacing the pulse generator. readings on THAT show 1.08 on the left generator, not enuf to be way off the 1.1 Honda calls for. Cheap reapir if its coils, if not, Ill tear the bike swingarm off and have at 'em.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

How do you mean weak spark? Did you measure it or just visual observation.

How does the bike run?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

weak, as in when using a in-line ignition spark checker.. Front sparks brightly, rear dimly. Doesnt run well, on 2 cylinders.Getting upset w/ this bike. Looks new, and only 14K miles.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, its fixed. 1 bad coil. Runs great, and revs faster than it ever did. Thanks for all ur input! AL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.