Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

My 1500 came without driving or cornering lights. I decided to add the driving lights. Wasn't quite sure where to "plug" them in. Searched the front end and found the green connector under each glove box. They were unused. Plugged them in and all worked fine.

This week (while still healing from broken ankle), I decided to add the front fairing light and as done in the rear, also have the fairing light blink alternately with the front turn signals.

Instructions for the fairing light enlightened me, in that the connection under the glove box was actually meant for the side fairing light.

Still not a big issue. I know how to connect the 2 wire sets so the front turn signal alternates with the new side fairing light.

The issue is that I "lost" my connection for the driving lights. Are there any other plug connections where I could reattach the 2 prong driving lights so they will be on all of the time?

Did I miss a connection on the lower half of the bike actually meant for driving lights?

If not, and no additional vacant "plug/receptacle" is available, where is the best and most convenient place to splice in the wires for the driving lights?

Thanks!

psu

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the 88s, but on later models, there should be aconnector (green?)near the horns on each side, but the lightswill only come on with the turn indicators, just like you had it hooked up previously to the green connectors up close to the air box.

Here's a shot from Rudy's site

You'll have to do a search here to find out how to wire them to be full time 'running lights'. If you are looking for them to aid in night time vision ahead of the bike, think again.

Here's something you should read and consider. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=61844&forum_id=1&highlight=Driving+%2F+Cornering+Light+Location

Edited to fix link

Dusty

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty,

I tried the link with no luck. I decided to do a search. (should have done this 1st). I prefer the driving lights over the cornering lights.

A search, provided several options. Wire directly to nearest live wire. No!

Cut 1 of the wires on the connection meant for the cornering lights on the earlier 1500s. No!

Add relay and connect. I like this option. I previously added a relay to "control" an aux. fuse box. The only item in this box is a 12v receptacle for a GPS. I think I'll just run a new line from the aux. fuse box and splice directly to both driving lights. In that way, they'll be on all of the time and off when keyed off.

Does this make the most sense? Thanks again.

psu

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I fixed the link.

Yes, that is the way to connect them, but be aware that all they will do is make you more visible and will not provide a'projected' beam of light to aid driving at night. (due to mountingposition and angle these cornering lamp lenses are set in the lower cowl)

The only way you will accomplish that is to add a set of dedicated aux driving lamps, the higher and wider apart they are positioned, the more they will 'project' down the road.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dusty,

Thanks again. Yes, I only want them to make me more visible.

psu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.