Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've got into the habit of plugging and unplugging my intercom cord at the junction next to the helmet. So far, no problem. However, those pins are small and delicate. I assume it was meant to be disconnected/reconnected at the heavier duty 5-pin plug on the bike end of the curly cord.

Anyone that uses the top end of the cord as the plug in point - had any trouble wearing it out, bending pins, etc?

Sure is more convenient for me to do it that way - so I must be doing it wrong.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My wife has broken a few of those small pins. We disconnect at the larger end.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Our JM headsets have two cables for each. The upper cable plugs into the helmet and then into the lower cable. The lower cable then plug into the large 5 pin on the bike.

I usually like to plug and unplug the connection between the upper and lower cables. I have had a problem with the small pins at that connection. I broke bent one while on a ride in Oregon. In trying to bend it back it broke so I ended up riding the balance of the trip with one speaker. Even after having to buy a new upper cable I continue to use the smaller connection due because it's easier. I am now very careful plugging them together.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

WE JUST LEAVE OURS PLUGED IN ALL THE TIME JUST TAKE OUR HELMETS OFF,UNLESS WE GO IN TO SOME PLACE.THEN WE UNDO AT THE BIG END..

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
I usually like to plug and unplug the connection between the upper and lower cables.
+1 on this. I've been doing it this way for a little over a year and 18,000 miles, since I got the 1500 and started using J&M headsets. No problemsyet. The version I have, the mid-range sets, are designed pretty robust and you would have to work pretty hard to damage them by connecting and disconneting them between the cords.

John

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

In the 5 years we have had the wing my wife has gone through one set of the Hondaline headsets and 3 of the J&M cords. I finally broke off one of the small pins on mine last year.

After the last time my wife broke a pin off and it stayed in the helmet, I took apart the connection at the helmet and hard wired the cords to the helmet. Now we have to use the large connector as the cord is part of the helmet headsets.

I've been thinking about the bluetooth versions but I want a set that will last for more than 8 hours and the outside box is waterproof.

Henry

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My better half has broken the pins on the helmet end, also. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

i was doing the same thing for awhile with a headset. it had a volume control at that junction. one day not thinking i yanked on the cord like always. poof i pulled the connection out of the controller.
now i disconnect at the large end.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
I've been thinking about the bluetooth versions but I want a set that will last for more than 8 hours and the outside box is waterproof.

Henry
So far that's none of them, and only the J&M's will connect to the Wing's system. There are plenty of performance issues with the very expensive J&M sets though. It's going to be wired headsets for me for awhile still.

FYI, Air Rider has been working on a Bluetooth headset for quite some time, said they would be released last year, but they still are not released. Obviously they are having some real issues too.

John

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I'm hoping someone will build a bluetooth that will just plug right into the built in J&M headset plug on the side of my Arai. Then maybe I will switch. But if you cut the intercom cord, you have the battery life and recharging cords to deal with.

So far, my upper connection is holding up to the disconnects, althought I know I should probably use the lower one, its a pain having the long cord hanging off the helmet.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
I'm hoping someone will build a bluetooth that will just plug right into the built in J&M headset plug on the side of my Arai. Then maybe I will switch. But if you cut the intercom cord, you have the battery life and recharging cords to deal with.
Yeah, but you would also need a bluetooth module on the bike's end too. Gotta have something to communicate with. :)

John

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
TitaniumWing wrote:
Yeah, but you would also need a bluetooth module on the bike's end too. Gotta have something to communicate with. :)

John
Yes, but hopefully they would sell it as a package.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.