Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody out there with an 84 Interstate that notices that he or she has to clean their plugs quite often? They seem to get carboned up pretty regularily...do I need a tune-up?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi dean,

more than likely your running with the wrong grade of plug, the same happened with mine, I was running NGK DPR-7-EA-9 I changed to NGK DPR-8-EA-9 and the bike runs a lot better with no fouling of the plugs etc.

It also depends on what type of riding your doing, slow traffic bound town riding will coke up plugs, exhausts and valves.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Heat range might indeed be off, butI'd suspectit'slikelycarburetors running too rich.

What are you getting for fuel mileage? That could be a clue about carbs.

What grade of gasoline are you using? The high octane stuff will crud things up more than 87.

How is the oil consumption on your bike? That's another source of cruddy plugs if it's burning oil.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

ExAvid and Johno:

You guys pointed out two things that probably are relevant-usage of high octane gas and the type of plugs I'm using. I'm also riding around town (Toronto) mainly, and that probably is contributing to the problem. I'll get a set of plugs; run lower octane, and take it for a good run down Highway 401 and see what happens.

As usual, you guys helped out a lot. Thanks, Dean

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Is it grey carbon or black soot on the plugs? Carbon would be an oil burning problem, seperate to a fuel problem.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Marky :waving:Update your profile please and include your LOCATION. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think town driving will cause that kind of problem unless something else is amiss. I ran my 1200 in a lot of Seattle/Tacoma stop and go, more stop than go, and do a good bit of it with my 1500 and both bike's plugs stayed a nice light tan. Admittedly the 1200 had fuel injection which might help, but the 1500 doesn't. I'd bet first on the carbs and second on a bit of oil burning, possibly valve stem seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.