imported post

Nope,,,,,:baffled:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750,

I was just thinking that if you would download the www.MalwareBytes.org trojan horse/virus detector and run that, you could eliminate the possibility of a virus or trojan horse being the cause of your Internet Explorer problem.

As I explained, my PC started acting funny yesterday morning. I ran MalwareBytes on the PC and it reported and removed a couple of trojan horse programs that were not detected by the antivirus program I have running. That fixed my problem.

Being cautious is never bad. The PM to you was not to scare you, just to advise that it would be useful to verify your computer is clean.

As a technician, I have always used the "divide and conquer" logic process. Make sure of what you have or do not have, and then proceed on from there.

MalwareBytes is a useful tool that you might wish to use once a month or more just to be sure that all is clean in your computer house. It works in conjunction with the other Antivirus programs available.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

While we are on the subject, I have Norton antivirus and it is due for renewing. I am not that happy with it and wondering what other antivirus program I could get that would do the job. I used to use McAfee and it seemed to work well but when it came time to renew they couldn't seem to remember who I am so if I wanted to keep using it I would have to pay for a new subscription rather than a renewal.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use AVG 8 Free version for those machines and operating systems that need anti-virus protection to continue running.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
While we are on the subject, I have Norton antivirus and it is due for renewing. I am not that happy with it and wondering what other antivirus program I could get that would do the job. I used to use McAfee and it seemed to work well but when it came time to renew they couldn't seem to remember who I am so if I wanted to keep using it I would have to pay for a new subscription rather than a renewal.
When I went to renew my Norton I found that Business Depot had new cheaper than I could renew at Norton. Worth checking around for any program as they have lots of rebates sometimes.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I was using Norton and Macafee, both slow my machine down a lot. Rudy, what is the deal with AVG8, any slow down effects or hidden fees down the road?

Al

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

AVG has had their free version for years. They do have a "pay-for" version too, but I have had the free one for over 4 years on this computer with no real issues and VERY rarely had offers to upgrade. I like it and its definitely the best free one as far as I'm concerned. Norton is a serious memory hog from using in the past. No real experience with McAfee, besides installing it on some computers where I used to work, cant help ya there.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
I was using Norton and Macafee, both slow my machine down a lot. Rudy, what is the deal with AVG8, any slow down effects or hidden fees down the road?

Al
da_bull pretty much hit the mark about AVG free. Been free, still free for non-commercial users.
Any process that has to go on behind the scenes takes processor power away from apps and time to work.
Some AVs are better at it than others.
Norton for example is a real hog for resources and it thinks it owns you and your computer, very similar to the way the OS manufacturer does. It is very difficult to remove Norton from any machine that has it installed and running. That is the idea anyway.
Used to be I had problems with reliable detection using Mcaffee but I think they have improved that lately. I just don't support the CA parent company or any of their products.
AVG has had some detection ratings lower than others at times but since the state I work for has been using over 50,000 copies of it for over 6 years without serious problems and since I have been using the paid and free versions of AVG over that time as well, I have seen no differences in detection from the free vs paid. Nor have I had any infections from it but I also have good security policies and protections elsewhere in my system and networks so that may mask something out there that going nekkid might have picked up.

Norton came as a trial on my new Vista laptop as did MS Office trial.
Both were deleted before activation and replaced with AVG free V8 and OpenOffice.org V3.0 without further problems.

I also replaced that joke of a MS firewall with a good one that acutally does something besides irritate the owner into thinking it's doing something useful.

Of course with Linux, all I had to add was OpenOffice.org 3.0. :action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

As a fellow computer tech, I'm gonna jump in here and back Rudy up. AVG 8 free version is ran on all my own computers and installed on all my customers computers. I get no emails wanting me to upgrade to the paid version and it's no where the memory hog as Norton and McAfee products.

A lot of security software companies have moved to a subscription based program. You have to re-new them every year now. Not my cup of tea.

Now I haven't tried the program that John has recommended but do know it's a pretty good one based on recommendations made to me by other techs I work with in the market place. Guess I need to download it one of these days and add it to my arsenal.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

AZ, I am glad you replied. As you know, sometimes, somehow, people relay unitentionally, a virus. For that reason, I was afraid to open anything. Thanks, for thinking about us.

I have been using the AVG free also. I dumped Norton. They even billed my credit card without my okay.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

So Rudy, if I were to remove Norton and go with the AVG which I have used before How much difference would my memory usage be. currently running Vista. I run on average 1 and 1/2 Gb memory on available 3 Gb. I have new (less than 1year) pc Dell 350GB HD and was the most I could upgrade to when I bought it. My Pc tends to bogg down sometimes because I use a Verizon wireless modem, on some days it every bit as fast as Cable and then somedays not. Usually when that happens, I shut it down for about 30 minutes and turn it back on and it gets better again.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I use Linux... what's antivirus?

:D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Knucklebucket wrote:
So Rudy, if I were to remove Norton and go with the AVG which I have used before How much difference would my memory usage be. currently running Vista. I run on average 1 and 1/2 Gb memory on available 3 Gb. I have new (less than 1year) pc Dell 350GB HD and was the most I could upgrade to when I bought it. My Pc tends to bogg down sometimes because I use a Verizon wireless modem, on some days it every bit as fast as Cable and then somedays not. Usually when that happens, I shut it down for about 30 minutes and turn it back on and it gets better again.
As far as removing Norton, you might need some professional help getting that gum out of your hair. Memory usage is an intangible measurement because it varies with the task that is being done, what options you have selected, things like how big a given file or directory is and what the program has to do to analyze the file it is looking at.
My Vista laptop is running with 2 Gigs ram and I don't sit around watching the processor load monitor when it is running. Also I'd have to have an identical system running the same files, one with Norton and one with AVG and since I don't use Norton and of course I don't have two identical systems with identical files, that comparison remains elusive.
If it's a windows machine it's gonna bog down, at least under load, trust me.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Last year i got a virus on my laptop. I kept getting pup up adds from adult websites. I traced it back to a file named " anti virus 2008" . I ran my AVG and ad aware but could not remove it. After goolging antivirus 2008, I downloaded the software from Malwarebytes and it got rid of the virus the first time. Now I run all three on my computer with no problems. I have recieved pop ups wanting me to download " Anitvirus 2009" from time to time. I decline and run the anti malware .

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Used to be I had problems with reliable detection using Mcaffee but I think they have improved that lately.
FYI, I'm still seeing a lot of boxes running the consumer version of McAfee that are infected. I've seen a lot of other non-virus problems caused by McAfee as well. The consumer versions of Norton have become a real hairball as well, causing massive slowdowns and sometimes missing viruses until their installed too. Norton 360 is supposedly better, but I don't have any real experience with it other than installing it once. That sucked bad enough taking nearly an hour to install. :gunhead: AVG & Kaspersky are my fav's at the moment.

John

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

82winginvegas wrote:
Last year i got a virus on my laptop. I kept getting pup up adds from adult websites. I traced it back to a file named " anti virus 2008" . I ran my AVG and ad aware but could not remove it. After goolging antivirus 2008, I downloaded the software from Malwarebytes and it got rid of the virus the first time. Now I run all three on my computer with no problems. I have recieved pop ups wanting me to download " Anitvirus 2009" from time to time. I decline and run the anti malware .
Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus, Antivirus 2009, and probably some other names is a pain in the buttonce it'sinstalled, but it does not install itself. You have to click on it and allow it to install. It is malware and can really screw up your system. People running Windows really need to get in the habit of reading what they are about to do before they click something. If you're running AVG, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc., then why would you click on something that says its Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus, Antivirus 2009....? Not trying to pick on you 82winginvegas, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I am constantly bailing people out of the same type of infections because they can't be bothered to read and think before they click. That stupid malware is so effective because people just don't think before clicking.

Hope my little rant helps some of you keep out of trouble. ;)

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

twilson wrote:
I use Linux... what's antivirus?

:D
Yer a purty fart smeller there T. Too bad we are the few.

Bill Gates sold them the bag of goods and did a bang up job of it along the way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.