Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and installed mono-tubes in my 2012. With the tubes a set of all-balls head bearings and a fork brace was installed. The bike handled wonderfully in turns and tracked straight as an arrow. However; there seems to be no dampening. The bike pogos on light imperfections in the road. I did not install the pre-load shims. 10w oil filled exactly to specs. I weigh 225. Anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Call Progressive, their tech people are awesome --on their springs for the 1500 they call for 15w
Based on your weight you may need something else- I don't know anything about the monotubes, just throwing out ideas
Have you gotten some break-in miles on them?
What about riding without the fork brace?
Why no shims? does that add or take away preload?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call Progressive, their tech people are awesome --on their springs for the 1500 they call for 15w
Based on your weight you may need something else- I don't know anything about the monotubes, just throwing out ideas
Have you gotten some break-in miles on them?
What about riding without the fork brace?
Why no shims? does that add or take away preload?
There are complaints about harshness with the shims. Looking for a balance of ride/firmness. I have considered removing the brace. 10w is the recommended oil. I can't stand the ride long enough to attain a possible break-in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't think the fork brace would be the culprit either.
The forks has a small brace stock for the fender support.
My experience with for braces was on an ST1100. It didn't help the ride so to speak. But it did help on tire cupping a lot! Seems to handle a little different in corners. But making the tire last longer was worth the price to me.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
removing fork brace was to test if it made a difference, as I have to throw out a decent guess!
Progressive tech support is your best bet for real knowledge--your weight may be the issue, or not used to the new setup?
Mine seemed really tight at first- probably because I was used to mushy~ ( I realize totally different setup)

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Did you put the anti-dive washers and spring off the bottom of the old fork piston on the mono-tube? I personally would have left them off to completely disable the anti-dive. The oil you add is really there just to lubricate the forks, the damping oil is captive in the tubes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you put the anti-dive washers and spring off the bottom of the old fork piston on the mono-tube? I personally would have left them off to completely disable the anti-dive. The oil you add is really there just to lubricate the forks, the damping oil is captive in the tubes.
I removed the brace this morning. The forks seem to have a high degree of stickion. I can hear the binding. Contacting cyclemax for a replacement set. Removing the washers for the ADM while in there this time. If this is the normal ride for PMT then out they go. Traxxion has to be the answer. Expensive!

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Dave- wouldn't any oil external to the cartridge shock be for cooling that cartridge?
The constant movement it goes thru creates heat....outside oil would extract said heat, and keep any visible springs happily cooled too?
(see how little I know about1800s..are there springs outside the mono tubes? should I even care, because I am on a 1500)

Progressive opens in an hour- call them and describe the situation-- before tearing your bike down and returning current shocks
They can put a different spring or valve etc inside to tailor the shock to your needs
Racing is their business, so having a variety of parts choices the public doesn't know about = what do you want- Yes we can!
I know they overhaul/rebuild their shocks and offer choices then.
Another example- you don't want a tight 1500?? springs for xyz 1200 are same size in a softer rates, call tech support

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Dave- wouldn't any oil external to the cartridge shock be for cooling that cartridge?
The constant movement it goes thru creates heat....outside oil would extract said heat, and keep any visible springs happily cooled too?
I suppose so but it still has nothing to do with the damping rate.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
I removed the brace this morning. The forks seem to have a high degree of stickion. I can hear the binding. Contacting cyclemax for a replacement set. Removing the washers for the ADM while in there this time. If this is the normal ride for PMT then out they go. Traxxion has to be the answer. Expensive!
I have only ridden two 1800s besides the one I have now....

the 1st one was a bone stock rental ride back in 2006.

the 2nd one is DaveO430's current 1800 and i can't recall how the forks felt. Only got about 6 miles of asphalt to try it on.... I was more interested in how the Michelin felt on the back end...

that ride convinced me I had to install a RF tire.

With all of that said, the front of my bike is totally predictable and very postive about where it is going. No pogo at all, if anything it is a bit stiff.

It has Traxxion springs front and rear... not the full Monty, but the springs and kit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was reminded that it is important to leave everything loose and bounce the front end. It solved 75% of the bounce. I reinstalled the brace and found that it once again got worse. Removed it. Ordered a Kury brace that is more adjustable. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I removed the PMT inserts. I hear good things about PMTs. They didn't work for me. I had a shop in Nashua, NH prep the 20k mile forks and install Traxxion inserts. I also went to a three piece fork brace. I made one small adjustment last night and was delighted. It is truly like a new bike. All the Honda suspension garbage is gone. The bike no longer wobbles, wanders, follows ruts, bottoms on moderate bumps or wallows on stressful high speed turns. This bike tracks through turns like never before. (IMHO) I am expecting another improvement when the stones are on there once again. Dunlops seem to be lacking some of the features of the Stones. Quiet and sticky in turns the Stones are. The Dunlops, not, not, not! Mother Honda you should be ashamed of yourself for sending your flagship out with the crappy suspensions. I hope Honda's newly designed front suspension corrects the issues.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
:claps:

glad you got it worked out.

I lucked out by finding a bike that the PO was very anal about his ride, the Super Brace, the Traxxion Suspension, front and rear.

and the E3 on the back? a nightmare for me, any added throttle on loose soil/sand/water and it went sideways.

no more, the Michelin RF cured that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:claps:

glad you got it worked out.

I lucked out by finding a bike that the PO was very anal about his ride, the Super Brace, the Traxxion Suspension, front and rear.

and the E3 on the back? a nightmare for me, any added throttle on loose soil/sand/water and it went sideways.

no more, the Michelin RF cured that.
TY. All it took was 1900 with me doing the labor. LOL. That includes the rear spring and hose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update to add to all of this. Sometimes I think if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. I know, would you like some cheese with that wine? Sharp cheddar only. I had problems with the full front Monty. It would just bounce and not compress over small bumps. I took the forks out and at the request of Dan at Traxxion Dynamics sent them to the factory. I was informed that they found nothing wrong except for one fork was 2.5 thou out of true. They straightened it and sent the reworked pair back to me. All I can say is WOW! What a difference between their work and the shop in Nashua NH. It feels like a completely different bike. I have the handling characteristics of a sport bike with the comfort of a tourer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.