Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to everyone...and many many many thanks to everyone who helped me figure out my blunder on my bike. Turns out that the black wire on these bikes isn't a ground, its a power feed! With automotive wiring, 90% of the time, a black wire (even with a tracer color) is a ground! So, I got the bike running....but, now I need to find a complete points setup for this bike to use temporarily until I get my Dyna S ignition module tested. I fired the bike off and rode it down the road....and my original ignition problem (that I thought was a coil breaking down) is still there. It comes and goes.....but its there when the bike is cold. After it warms up, the problem comes and goes....I swear its like someone flipped a switch when the system starts working right. When it "kicks in", its like I just hit a switch for turbo boost! The bike suddenly revs up and has all kinds of power until it cuts out again. The tach seems to be working properly. when it kicks in, it will just about throw you off the bike! Its unusual....when it first started last year, I could tap on the side of the carbs sometimes and it would go away...kick in, whatever you want to call it...and now I can't get it to work that easily. I took the dyna unit out and everything looks good...no loose connections....but this thing still acts up. So, I don't know what's up. I contacted Dynatek's tech support. They said I could send the unit in and they will test it for me free of charge. But, I need to find some points to put in in the meantime so I can still ride.....so, does anyone have a spare setup laying around? I don't have a clue what I will actually need, nor do I have any idea of how to put them in! But, I do have a service manual, and I am pretty good with jigsaw puzzles.....so, I figure I can get it figured out.....Hoping someone can help me out (again!)....I am going to check Ebay as well......

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

To go back to using points again may not be that simple. Gettingnew points and condensor is easy enough, but when the bike was converted to Dyna, the points cam and spark advance assemblygot replaced with a special Dynarotor that fits in place of the cam. So now the problem is where to find the original cam and spark advance. Also, on some models, the factory ballast resistor gets replaced with a special Dyna resistor.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I talked to Dynatek's tech dept...this one doesn't require the resistor for the electronic ignition. And u are right, I have to have the COMPLETE points setup....the wiring, the points sets, the condensor(s), the plate, EVERYTHING. I am hoping that someone else has changed their bike over to electronic ignition and that they still have all this stuff laying around....

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest replacing the spark plugs. The symptoms you describe could be caused by an intermittent fault in a spark plug. It may not be this at all, but it's worth spending a few dollars for plugs just to rule it out. I speak from experience after getting stranded once in Winnemucca with exactly the same symptoms.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

Can you simulate the problem in the shop? Anyone with an ignition scope can tell you if the ignition is doing it's job and in good shape. Easy as pie. I wonder about your comment that you hit on the carbs. If there are issues in a carb it could affect that cylinder in one of two ways. Obviously if it is getting insufficient fuel it won't run on that cylinder. If it is a carb problem and the mixture is just too lean it will not fire that cylinder. Very lean cylinders are hard to fire.
You could try taking it for a ride with the air filter off. When it start acting up give it a spritz of gas from a spray bottle to see how it reacts. If it takes off I would look at the carbs. Maybe isolate the bad carb by seeing which cylinder makes or looses power. Good Luck
Of course be careful with the gas spray and driving while spraying.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

The symptoms you describe could be attributed to a sticking vac slide OR a bad ignition connection. I always believed that a Dyna module failed catastrophically as opposed to intermittently. Let me ask, does the "throw you off the bike" power happen at higher rpms where the alternator is pushing full voltage? Like some "connection" just got juiced enough to bridge? Like boooooooggggvvvvvVRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!
Or is it more like:
booooooog, boooooooooog, VROOOMMMMMMMM! boooooooooog, booooooooog, VROOOOOOOOOOOMM!
The former is more ignition connection. Low rpms means less voltage means less bridging on that one bad connection. Wind her out and she starts taking off like a rich jet.
Latter is sticky vac slide.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, I had GLPete rebuild the carbs. He even went back through them again when I started having this problem, to verify that there was nothing wrong with them. As for the voltage, I replaced the stator with a newer higher amperage stator when I had the engine apart. the problem is intermittent, but definitely there when the bike is cold. I have changed the plugs twice as well, with no change in the problem. I now have new wires, new coils, carbs freshly rebuilt by Pete (who I have been told is damn near as good as Randakk), and the plugs were changed recently before the bike went down last year. I have never known an ignition module to fail intermittently, but, I figure anything can happen. I have seen one on a GM van fail intermittently causing a hard miss that was random.....this problem seems to go away when the bike warms up. Also, when I really get on it when its running right, the problem comes back intermittently.....

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Used to have dyna ignition on my 79. It would sometimes run on only two cylinders. As you say. it was as if the after burner kicked in when it started running on all 4 again. I was checking it out one day and it dropped to 2 cylinders. Still ran smooth but had no power. I had one hand on the throttle and had reached down with my left hand and was wiggling wires. The thing went to all 4 and I darn near went off the back!. Anyhoo, Your dyna module is bad. I went back to points and never had the problem again....

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Bob,
So, it sounds as if you know EXACTLY what I am talking about! When the system kicks back in its like someone hit a "turbo" switch without my knowledge, and I have to LITERALLY hang on to the bike when it does....particularly since when its running like crap, its still running smooth, and it still has power...just not a lot....and correspondingly, I have to run it at damn near wide open throttle to get anywhere! And the gas mileage SUCKS when it runs like that! I rode it today for about 40 miles, and went through almost a half tank of gas!!!! So, I am hoping that Dynatek won't take too long checking this unit! I am going to miss being able to ride while she's down AGAIN!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.