Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Well it kind of makes sense if you think about it... motorcycles are a lot like guns... what does Joe Citizen need those for? After the government sees you give up personal defense so easily, you have to understand why they might believe that everything else is fair game too.

What does the average citizen need a motorcycle for? They are just dangerous aren't they?

Books will be next I suppose. Privacy, speech, thought...

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

A better headline would be, "POLICE NOW ALLOWED TO MAKE LAWS"

If it were in a non-police state. Reporters write dumb stuff when they get bored or intoxicated, and they know where to get goofy statements.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Sounds like typical government crap to me! Because thegov'tis too lazyto take the time and effort to enforce the laws on a few offenders, the answer it to ban them all. Its the same with gun ownership here. The offenders are always the ones who couldn't legally own one anyway, but since thegovernment doesn't enforce the laws, the law abiding citizens are the only ones punished.:?:gunhead:

I'd bet the folks wouldn't stand for a motorcycle ban. Even in the UK!:action:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Wel, the more worrying thing is that people who are supposedly looking to safe gaurd me, my family and my posssesions, that are being paid very high salaries from my and everybody elses tax pounds, have nothing better to do than stand there and P*** into the wind.

Put more bobbies back on the beat,

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Well I agree with Rudy, if y'all let the government pass laws of this nature then so be it...This is one of the reasons we have I guess you can call them motorcycle advocates, that try to keep Washington from taking our freedom to ride away. I'm speaking of a group know as ABATE....While I have never been a member of that group. Ido knowat times they get the job done that no one else will touch..Yet some times in the way they dress and present themselves, I'm not going to join them....But that said I have known many ABATE members and they are some really nice people until you try to take some motorcycle privileges away or pass laws against motorcycles......ABATE at one time stood for, I was told....."A Brotherhood Against Totalitarianism Enactment", but in looking at their web sites I now see it stands for "American Bikers Aimed Towards Education" ??? Times have changed.....

Maybe we need to send these guys over there and set up shop in your Parliament....Bet youyour goverment would be glad to back off.....:cheeky1:

Just my .05 cents worth....

Claude....

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Maybe it's time ABATE went international!!!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Sounds like typical government crap to me! Because the copsare too lazyto take the time and effort to enforce the laws on a few offenders, the answer it to ban them all. Its the same with gun ownership here. The offenders are always the ones who couldn't legally own one anyway, but since the cops don't enforce the laws, the law abiding citizens are the only ones punished.:?:gunhead:

I'd bet the folks wouldn't stand for a motorcycle ban. Even in the UK!:action:
Please do not make a blanket statement about law enforcement. I dont want to start a heated arguement but by your comments you have possibly run into a few bad apples. The majority do the best they can. You have no idea how our hands get tied by politics. Banning bikes is small minded by an obviously incompedent leader.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Wot a load of C R A P

for one, the police in the UK enforce the law, they don't make it.

for two, it would be unenforcable.

for three, if it was enforcable, at a time of global depression and credit crunch, it would cost jobs on a fair scale.

for four, it would be environmentally unfriendly.

If they had police policing the land instead of cameras and platic polis (comunity police officers) there shouldn't really be a problem.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

In America, the populace has traditionally looked upon law enforcement agencies as not necessarily good for the "common folk." The arm of the law has often been used to advance special interests, e.g. during the thirties, police officers weresometimesused to break up strikes, throw work-seeking travellers off trains, roust citizens from their foreclosed farms and to oust the desperate from "okie" or squatter camps. In other words, they were often used against the citizenry... "Not to Serve, and Definitely Not To Protect."

It appears that the citizens of the UK, Ireland, and Western Europe are more inclined to trust their police forces more than we do here. I have heard it often said that a politician could not get American police to confiscate privately owned, legal weapons, and yet it happened in New Orleans after Katrina...... I respect and honor the police when they serve their people, but... trust them? Not really... not deep down. Police forces, all police forces, are more concerned with order than freedom.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

:pWhere does it end? A "vehicle of choice" can be most anything. All cars can be "vehicles of choice" since people can travel by other means - including walking. Here is an idea: with each of your hands, firmly grab an arsecheek and pull your head out. After you clean it up a bit - I am quite sure there is some police work that needs doing. If not, I'm sure your countrymen can find some work for you at the sewage treatment plant.

ALSO - BEWARE THE CHIP - once that happens it will be worldwide and they will set up transponders at every intersection and on every road travelled to generate revenue by computer, camera and transponder.But they won't keep the signals workingmind you - so when you go through a stuck light - you'll be fined. Hell, there's no need for police anymore!!! :shock:

"The association said: ‘Production machines are readily available for use on our roads with top speeds in excess of 200mph. Motorcycles are seen in the UK to be, in the majority of instances, vehicles of choice rather than necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys.The association said: ‘Production machines are readily available for use on our roads with top speeds in excess of 200mph. Motorcycles are seen in the UK to be, in the majority of instances, vehicles of choice rather than necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys."

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:

Chippy,

The Police does not hve the power to make a decision like this,It would have to go through congress first, and ALL of the Cyclisct and bike makers would also oppose this, and they would have one hevk of a fight on their hands. They ought to take the little old ladies off the road instead.

Nightrider1

Chippy01 wrote:
Do they have "Congress" in Ireland and The Isles? :shock: I thought it was more like a filtered cigarette from the '70's or something. :?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Governments will take whatever power they can get away with. The more docile a population is the more power the government will assumee. That's one reason Americans fight to keep the right to bear arms. It's really not the ownership of guns per se, but the creeping inroads on liberty that left wing goverment are always trying to pass into law. It's always based on increasing security or safety.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Blackdog,

Sorry about that, I was thinking of it being here in the USA, but we have many homes for sale over here, and just move and join us!

Nightrider1

Blackdog wrote:
Nightrider1 wrote:

Chippy,

The Police does not hve the power to make a decision like this,It would have to go through congress first, and ALL of the Cyclisct and bike makers would also oppose this, and they would have one hevk of a fight on their hands. They ought to take the little old ladies off the road instead.

Nightrider1

Chippy01 wrote:
Do they have "Congress" in Ireland and The Isles? :shock: I thought it was more like a filtered cigarette from the '70's or something. :?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

"Over here" in Europe, we would LOVE to have the prices U guys have, (thats why we buy USA bikes), and U`re right to bear ARM`S(some states).
Unfortunatly, we have EU(Commonwealth), and all that goes along with it.
The Irish are good with it.(Not happpy, but have some benefits, and OK with it).
Englishmen are happy with it. (Yeah, happy).
German...(Love it).
French... (Who cares, but they`re French, and never complain in a language U`ll understand).

Need I go on?

ABATE is an orginasation to involve ALL of us, in ALL ways, and they do... Don`t underestimate ABATE...
Here in Norway, we`re not alowed to drive with lights on in the mirrors( like one standard 1800), but thats one thing ABATE`s been fighting for for years, to be seen... Why not support...
I do, and don`t feel bad `bout it....

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The reporter in the article was just yammering about some of those "Crotch Rockets". The ones that run "over 200 mph".

Then there is the problem of all those outlaw "Motorcycle Gangs" that terrorize the innocent , plundering & pillaging small towns.

New laws are neededto address these serious social problems.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's nice to know that you guys don't have any problems withspeeding cagers.:cooldevil: Just those pesky motorcycle hoods. Seems the cops might spend more time worrying about soccer mobs.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Where can I get a 200 mile per hour bike ? Do you have to go UK ?:stumped:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.