Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all: I have a 83 Interstate and 85 Aspencade.

Both have the metal panel on front of fairing that appears to be a brushed stainless steel.

However it really appears to be some type of a coating as some small places it has worn away and it appears to be a smooth type of metal underneath.

The panels no longer look very good with the worn spots on them. I tried to polish a few spots and I can remove the finish, although difficult in areas.

What have some of you done in this situation?

Should I try to somehow strip this old finish off, and if so how?

Or should I just get some automotive paint and paint the panel, seems the fastest way?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

First thing decide if it is aluminun. Most likely the case for the 1100. Take 120 grit sand wet sand paper and sand the clear coat off[take all of the dings out if you can. Keep sanding with a fine grade of wet sand paper 2000 grit will do the job. Remember the wetter you keep it the better the sanding job. After a lot of elbow grease spray it with a clear coat and it will last for another 20 years.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

Had the same on my 82 all I did was to masking tape on it and it stuck on good then pulled it off and the coating came off too but only use a 3/4 inch wide strip one at a time so you only work 3/4 of an inche at a time as you go. My windshield had a coating on it too on the inside and out so I did the same thing to it after I polished it up with table polish called LEMON PLEDGE and WOW it is like new

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Spray on graffiti remover works great on clear coat. Saves quite a bit of time, rather than sanding it off.

Once I got my clear coat off, I used a scotch bright pad and gave it a satin finish.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the recommendations.

Does anyone know what the original coating was?

Apparently a clear coat, but was it just sprayed over bare metal or was there a silver finish and spray technique also to make it look like a brushed finish?

On another note, how do you remove the metal panel ?

Thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

remove 4 screws and both mirrors. if you use graffiti remover it is a great look if you do not want it shinny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.