Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an '85 Aspy, and I'm trying to shine it up. But some of the engine and other parts are not shiny chrome, but some other metal, aluminum, I think. Mine have a lot of stains and pitting. Anyone know something that will clean it up and shine it up a little more than what I've got. I've tried Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, but it doesn't work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Did you remove the silver paint that is on the surface?

I used a fine wet & dry then used those polishing pads that you can get in Home Hardware but not the coarse ones.

Elbow grease and mothers

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I purchased a bottle of "Eagle One" etching mag cleaner at my local Advance Auto Parts Store, and it works very, very well...But....But you have to realize that this stuff is acetic and very caustic....I sprayed it on my passenger running boards, and now they look like brand new...I also used it on the motor, and you have to heed the instructions very closely...It will remove the stains, but if you're not careful, it will also remove the paint...But if you think about it, that can be replaced.. Trust me, you don't have to scrub...the ph balance is very acetic.. My Goldwing had so much crud and crap on it, that even taking the paint off of the motor would have made it look 1000% better.. Just be careful because this stuff is strong...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

lstarett wrote:
I have an '85 Aspy, and I'm trying to shine it up. But some of the engine and other parts are not shiny chrome, but some other metal, aluminum, I think. Mine have a lot of stains and pitting. Anyone know something that will clean it up and shine it up a little more than what I've got. I've tried Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, but it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Use some "CLR" that Mays advertised on tv. I then spray mine down with "CD2 Engine Detailer". It shines extremely well. Check the pic below. Also,Log onto the website, and read about it. It issome amazing stuff.

Some of the members at the Calhoun Rally asked me how I kept all of my bike so clean,even the rear wheels and tranny and engine. but now, my secret is out.

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

lstarett wrote:

Thanks!
Use some "CLR" that Mays advertises on tv. I then spray mine down with "CD2 Engine Detailer". It shines extremely well. Check the pic below. If there is no chrome, it will have to be repainted, but clean it with the CLR first anyway to removbe all of the hard dirt and light rust/stained spots.

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Gents, I spent a good several months figuring out how to polish various billeted aluminum blocks for another project. I'd made several polishing spindles, from various motors, to find the right speeds and the right compounds. Mother's, Scratchout, various turtle wax polishing and scratch removers, MAAS, and truly, my absolute favorite, BLUE MAGIC. Blue Magic seemed to leave the cleanest chrome-like look on both cast and billeted or spun aluminum pieces. For significant cutting removal of material to get rid of deep scratches, I'd use more coarse jeweler's red and white rouge compounds, but always, for final finish, Blue Magic. It also leaves a protective film on your metal to prevent rapid re-oxidation. Try it for yourself. You "Mother's" guys likely won't ever try it, but you might be surprised.

I in getting rapid chrome like finishes, I used a 12" cloth wheel, triple stacked, on a 1.75 HP pool pump motor at 1850RPM. This was a dangerous but incredibly quick polisher, sometimes would rip a piece from from my clamps when I turned too quickly or caught a bad edge. Never got hurt, but the potential is there. Those pool pump motors are torquey as all getout.

Even pitted cast aluminum, like valve covers from Honda, could be chromelike in about 30-60 seconds.

One of the best final buffers that I liked, I don't know where to get again. It was about a 2-3 inch 'ball' of super soft cotton like material, to be used in a powerdrill. That thing really did well, but I can't find them anywhere again. It starts out as a disk shaped, multi layered pad, like a sanding disc, but when you spin it, the stuff starts to fill out and form a sphere. It has a 1/4" shank shaft, about 1 inch longer than the radius of the sphere. If anyone sees these, tell me where.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

BobinAZ

There are no Mama's boys here in this forum. With an attitude like that, you will not get very far here.There is no cutting down of another member put up with in this forum. It will not be tolerated.This is a simple,, Plain warning. Heed it.

Nightrider1

BobinAZ wrote:

Gents, I spent a good several months figuring out how to polish various billeted aluminum blocks for another project. I'd made several polishing spindles, from various motors, to find the right speeds and the right compounds. Mother's, Scratchout, various turtle wax polishing and scratch removers, MAAS, and truly, my absolute favorite, BLUE MAGIC. Blue Magic seemed to leave the cleanest chrome-like look on both cast and billeted or spun aluminum pieces. For significant cutting removal of material to get rid of deep scratches, I'd use more coarse jeweler's red and white rouge compounds, but always, for final finish, Blue Magic. It also leaves a protective film on your metal to prevent rapid re-oxidation. Try it for yourself. You "Mother's" guys likely won't ever try it, but you might be surprised.

I in getting rapid chrome like finishes, I used a 12" cloth wheel, triple stacked, on a 1.75 HP pool pump motor at 1850RPM. This was a dangerous but incredibly quick polisher, sometimes would rip a piece from from my clamps when I turned too quickly or caught a bad edge. Never got hurt, but the potential is there. Those pool pump motors are torquey as all getout.

Even pitted cast aluminum, like valve covers from Honda, could be chromelike in about 30-60 seconds.

One of the best final buffers that I liked, I don't know where to get again. It was about a 2-3 inch 'ball' of super soft cotton like material, to be used in a powerdrill. That thing really did well, but I can't find them anywhere again. It starts out as a disk shaped, multi layered pad, like a sanding disc, but when you spin it, the stuff starts to fill out and form a sphere. It has a 1/4" shank shaft, about 1 inch longer than the radius of the sphere. If anyone sees these, tell me where.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Whoa Whoa Whoa Cowboy, slow down? Who called anyone a mamas boy? LOL You must be referring to:
"You "Mother's" guys " huh? Ever heard of Mother's Milk of Magnesia? Ahem...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Bobbin,

Sorry if I misunderstood, but it just didn't fit.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

BobinAZ wrote:
Whoa Whoa Whoa Cowboy, slow down? Who called anyone a mamas boy? LOL You must be referring to:
"You "Mother's" guys " huh? Ever heard of Mother's Milk of Magnesia? Ahem...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Wow! Seems this thread ran off the track!
BobinAZ? I was not offended by your remark as I knew what you meant.
I'm a "Mother's" guy and I was a "mamma's" boy if you believe what my sister says!
I miss my mom....may she rest in peace!

Now let's "rerail" this thread and talk about polishing up an older, neglected Goldwing engine.
Mine needs a little TLC on the engine also and I would like to use something besides "elbow" grease. I'm running out of that as I age!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Yes, me too, I had to read and re-read the post to find the offensive part, I use Mothers, never even heard of Blue Magic but always on the lookout for better stuff to use.
Anyway no harm done....

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Mother's is a great product, and I love it as well. Then I found blue magic, by chance. If you run across it, pick some up, it's crazy.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Ok guys who ever has the best way to make my Wing look like Nightrider1's Wing can come to Texas and do mine......:cheeky1:....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

BobinAZ,

I really am sorry. I had never heard of that product anywhere. If I were you, I would have put the word "product" in front of it, and that would have clarified the whole meaning. Please forgive me on that.

My Sincerest appology,

Nightrider1

BobinAZ wrote:
Mother's is a great product, and I love it as well. Then I found blue magic, by chance. If you run across it, pick some up, it's crazy.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

I read in another thread somewhere that some people recommend using anti-seize compound to polish unfinished metal! You know, the thick silver paste that you coat bolt threads with to keep them from becoming “permanently” installed.

I have not tried it, but I’m tempted to. The folks in that thread said it works great for small parts or small areas. Any body else ever hear of that use for anti-seize compound or actually tried it?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Try Simi-chrome paste, it works very well.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

It sounds like there are several good products to choose from. My question is what is the best way to apply them?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.