Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've got the engine guards off and thought it would be a good time to polish the valve covers. I'd like to put them on the bench wheel but for anyone who's done this, am I better off just muddling through it with them on the bike or remove them? Gaskets reusable? If I need new seals where do get them and what do they run?$ I started them with 600 paper and now dremeling. They're cleaning up okay but since they've never been touched before as you can imagine they're pitted. I hate to do a job half way. I want 'em to gleam.:cool: Suggestions welcome please.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if your valve covers have never been touched and you want to polish them you have to use a strong paint remover to remove the old varnish, then you can do them while in the bike, there is a polishing ball made by mothers, its called powerball you use it with a drill and is pretty useful + you dont have to worry about seals and you will have to drain the oil

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

thanks William. sensible advice. i've seen the powerball. the 600 was knocking it down pretty good and probably the only thing that will take it down past the pitting. the covers don't leak a drop which is incredible considering the are 25 years old.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

If the bike is using the original gaskets you will most likely have to replace them. So if they're not leaking now...

The problem doing the job on the bike is getting into the tight places. If you have the tools and the time, give it a try. Then if you find you must remove them, you still can.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

heh heh. my thinking exactly. not a drop so i'm not anxious to see how a new set would seal. ain't broke/don't fix. i gave it a second round with the 600 and then the dremel. never really heard of a suitable substitute for the benchwheel but they'll pass for now and if they come out better i'll post a pic. incidentally Dennis, i pulled the carb assembly, went though 'em and all new hoses. gee that was fun! not half as fun as the test ride. ran like a raped ape.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

leave um on. you don't have to try and hold on to um. you can put a little more pressure with the drill or buffer and should be able to clean them up nice. chrome like if you take your time. paint remover stay away from the gaskets and your black paint around the 1200. the finer the paper the slicker they will be the less you have to buff.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Have you never had the covers off to check the valve lash?
Wilf

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

on a 12? i mentioned valve lash in here once and somebody told me you didn't need to. i assumed self adjusting.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Yes, valves are hydraulic. No need to measure unless you change the cams or valves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.