Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've ben searching forums online and the general consesus appears to be that an acceptable replacement for the front speakers on a GL1500 is the Polk 501's http://tinyurl.com/44atn4y.

Other than a minor mounting hole alignment issue they sound like they're a good fit. I'm not an audio nut/perfectionist, I just want to be able to hear some tunes, the news, whatever while I'm riding.

I don't have the dash torn apart on mine yet as I still have a bit of sound and I don't want to tear the old ones outbefore I have someting to replace them with.They look deep is the only thing that concerns me, the tweeter doesn't seem to stick out too far to hit the grill?

Anyone have any thoughts good or bad before I pull the plug..err wallett and buy 'em?.....Mike

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

One of my Dad's Goldwing buddies in NH has those Polks in his 99 Aspencade. Tweeters don't hit the grilles, you can see them clearly through the holes and they are close but no contact.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

mrmikey

I just put in a set of the 501's a week or so ago. The only problem i had and it really was not a problem was hole alignment. I used a chain saw file to elongate them. You could also use a dremil tool ,mine was on loan. I was not overly thrilled with the sound when i turned them up. I think the problem is more with the power the radio puts out than with the speakers. They are a good fit ,be careful pulling off the instrument cover as you need to release the pins on the top and bottom of the vents.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for reminding me Red, I rememebr reading numerous posts about the difference the enclosures make but completely forgot about them. Just ordered them from Crutchfield in Canada, thanks again......Mike

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Interested in knowing how you make out with that... also, could you take some pix of the 501s installed without the grille & dash panel reinstalled?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

could you take some pix of the 501s installed without the grille & dash panel reinstalled?
No problem Daryl...well one problem...me remembering LOL. I'll do my damnest to try tho, give it awhile as by the time they arrive here it'll be at least a couple of weeks. .....Mike

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Speakers arrived today and the enclosures arrived a couple of days ago so Im figured now is as good a time as any. The speakers were $89 CAN total (EBay) and the enclosures were $15CAN total (Crutchfield).

Only thing I did wrong was being a duma$$ I ordered the 5" enclosures instead of the 4" ones. They fit...tight but they did fit so it wasn't a waste of money.

I was dreading taking the Tupperware off but it wasn't near as bad as I figured it would be. Worst I would have to say was either the one hard to get at screw for the mirrors or the vent's, a tossup.

This could be the reason the sound was the sh**s, no surprise tho as I could see it was screwed thru the grill:

As you wanted Daryl, without the grill. They fit quite well, the only modification I had to make was cutting the holes longer with a pair of sidecutters. I made an open slot and used a small washer under the screwhead so it couldn't pull thru, I used Loctite as well:

A pic with the grill on. I never had any black cloth as I forgot to pick some up. They don't stand out any worse than the origonals do:

While I had the front apart, I put in the led's I got awhile back for the clear marker lights on either side of the headlight. They look good, only prob they made the headlight look sick:

....Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Thnx Mike - I saved the pics. I think you have me convinced to upgrade to 5 1/4" up front. I like my tunes loud on the highway, and the clearer the better.

Nice job BTW.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

You're welcome and thanks.

Wierd, when I opened this thread the first thumbnail of the blown speaker was duplicated fullsize at the end of my post. WhenI went to edit it to get rid of the duplicate it wasn't there yet it still shows up when I go back to the post. If the mods see it, could they delete it please.......Mike

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
MrMikey, which speakers did you go with or were they the Polks and I'm guessing you used the enclosures as well. Did installing the enclosures make a big difference in the sound at highway speeds as some have mentioned once installed they were not impressed with the sound.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
MrMikey.....your pictures made this a whole lot easier as far as installing the speakers since like you said the holes did not line up...using that washer was the trick and I can't thank Dusty enough for posting those pic's of breaking everything down....I just wish I had waited for your reply before I took parts off that I really didn't need to but the upside is now I know how to break everything down should I do a stereo upgrade later on this summer and know what kind on room I have to work with to mount and hide items on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.