Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Does an MSF course have an affect on helmet wearing

• I have had an MSF course and I wear a helmet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have had an MSF course and I don't wear a helmet or I don't always wear a helmet.

• I have not had an MSF course and I don't wear a helmet or I don't always wear a helmet.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is not a thread to argue the merits of wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet. There's already been a lot of those.

The question was asked in another thread if the MSF course causes a person to choose to wear a helmet when it's not required by law. I thought it was a good question so I am starting this poll to see if we can get an idea about the affect the MSF course has on helmet wearing. I know some states require helmet use, so for those that live in those states, like I do, vote on what you would do in a state that does not require a helmet.:)

If you want to respond, it would be good to hear how an MSF course has affected your choice of wearing a helmet or not. :)

For me, I've alwayse been a helmet wearer, even before I took the MSF course, so it really didn't affect me in that way. This is the kind of thing I would like to hear. Do you wear a helmet because of your training in an MSF course or have you always believed in it? Do you not wear a helmet despite your MSF training?

John

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I wear a helmet because I want to have the best chance of minimising
injury if I go down again, heaven forbid.

I don't like my face drying up like a prune, I might mistakenly eat it
as I really like dried prunes. Yup, I am old enough to have prunes.

And I actually believe the ride is more enjoyable and pleasant when
I wear my helmet. Yes, I have ridden many miles in Idaho without a helmet.
That was in 1997. That was the last time I rode without a helmet.

So that's safety, health, and pleasure. What more could you ask?

Before some flog me with a newspaper.......whether you wear one
or not, that's up to you. I love ya man! :action:

Peace.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Our state requires it, so I've always wore one. Missouri is trying (well tryed and failed) to remove the mandantory part. All the higher-ups voted to remove the law and then our Governor vetoed it. That said, I will always wear one. The day I traded in my GZ250 for my first Yamaha, I rode around the block one last time on it, waiting for my B-I-L's trailer to arrive, I felt naked. Wont happen again.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I'm lucky my state along with surrounding states don't require helmet use, so that gives me the choice and I choose to wear mine. MSF course helped me reinforce the need to wear one.

Ride Safe,Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

In my last accident, if I had not had a helmet on, it would have peeled my scalp right off when I hit the edge of my windshield.
My previous accident some 40 years ago, when I broke my ankle and hit the road, when I picked up my helmet it was cracked. that could have been my head.
I wear ahelmet all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Yes, I've had the MSF course, and will be repeating it next month.

A helmet is a must IMO not just in case of an accident, but bugs, rocks, and other airborne matter. The guy who owns the company here that teaches the course has a helmet that was hit by a rock that came from an undetermined source. There's a large indentation where it was hit, and youdon't even have toimagine what would have happened without a helmet. My hemet has been struck by matter that sounds like a bullet hit it.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I can't answer your poll because there is not a box for: I took a safety course and I wear a helmet sometimes. I used to use a condom sometimes too. I now have four children. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I've only been riding 3 years, so I consider myself a 65 year old novice. I did take the MSF course, and of course they really stressed protective gear. I always wear a helmet and probably would even if I had never taken the course. Like others responding, I've heard stuff hit my helmet that I sure am glad it did not hit my old bald, bare head.

Texas does not require helmets, but to me, common sense does.

mike

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

Took the MSF class and I now wear proper gear when riding. I use to ride in shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes. Tennessee requires one, but I would wear one anyway. I ride just across the river in Arkansas (no helmet required) and I wear my helmet there.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I answered that I wear a helmet, but wanted to add, not always, just like I believe in seat belts and wear them almost always, I wore my life jacket in my fishing boat when flying across the lake, but then it came off while fishing under a hot sun with no breeze, those who race cycles, cars, dragsters wear helmets, high danger level,and you will see them later on a pit bike zipping around with no helmet, low danger level.I will always agree to safety gear, It is the right thing, I truly mean that, but sometimes, just rarely sometimes, if the "danger levels" are extremely low,I won't put the helmet on. Maybe someday I will change my mind(if I don't get killed first), I have raced motorcycles, seen motorcycle victims in the hospital while I was a medic at Luke AFB hospital, and currently have been a fire medic for almost 20 yrs, and have seen many accidents, I don't think a motorcycle safety course will make me see things differently, I say all this not to be arrogant, I so firmly believe in freedom of choice on this matter, the choice to do the popular, smart thing, and the choice to do the unpopular, dumbthing, If I were to do EVERYTHING by the bookaccording to what I have heard from all sorts of people, Holy cow!! BORING!!!!

·
Administrator
58,203 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
I can't answer your poll because there is not a box for: I took a safety course and I wear a helmet sometimes. I used to use a condom sometimes too. I now have four children. :cheeky1::cheeky1:
That's awful funny :D bbach,

But it looks to me like your option is being allowed for :action:

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
bbach wrote:
That's awful funny :D bbach,

But it looks to me like your option is being allowed for :action:

Looks like somebody added an option. I wonder who that could have been. ;)

Actually I should have clarified it more. I know some wear a helmet part of the time. For the purposes of the poll, the "I don't wear a helmet" options are for those that might wear a helmet part of the time but don't always. The idea here is to see what affect the MSF course has had on helmet wearing. :) Soo, if you would like to edit the poll again, get rid of option 5 and change option 2 and 4 to "and I don't wear a helmet or I don't always wear a helmet.":)

Also for the purposes of this poll, any MC safety course is fine. I just used MSF because it is the most common one.

John

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

After riding for many years in CA I took a break from bikes for a few years (20 or so). Then I bought my first Wing and decided to take the MSF course as a means of getting my MC endorsement as opposed to trying to pass the skills test on the Aspy. Glad I did, and I think everyone ought to take advantage of the course.

Having said all of that - did the course influence my wearing of a helmet? Not really, I have always worn one when riding and always will. Many of the posts on this forum have only reinforced the reasons for wearing one (CJ is most compelling with his photos of his after the deer encounter) and I feel nekkid without one when riding.

One thing that I have noticed is that even though I am in a state without a helmet law, I see a lot of them in use.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

I wear a helmet because...that's where my speakers are!:action:

·
Administrator
58,203 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:

Actually I should have clarified it more. I know some wear a helmet part of the time. For the purposes of the poll, the "I don't wear a helmet" options are for those that might wear a helmet part of the time but don't always.
John
Done John

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:

Actually I should have clarified it more. I know some wear a helmet part of the time. For the purposes of the poll, the "I don't wear a helmet" options are for those that might wear a helmet part of the time but don't always.
John
Done John
Thank you! :bowing:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Many moons ago when I started riding you had to wear a helmet. I think I would just feel plain naked without one. I always wear a helmet. You know it's funny though, when we brought our children home from the hospital after birth my wife carried them while sitting beside me in the front seat. No such things as car seats back then and somehow we all survived this archaiec time in history.:D:D:D:D

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

?? Just a one day poll?? or did it get canned??

MSF and helmet..

... but I wore it before that also... MSF for me was first driven by a government requirement in order to ride the bike on an Army Depot.. However, I was surprised that at 60+ with 46 years of self taught riding, that they could teach this old dog new tricks... I was wrong... besides honing old skills, I learned a few new ones.. well worth the money and effort even if not required...

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
?? Just a one day poll?? or did it get canned??
Nope, I left it open ended. AZ must have accedentally ended it when he edited the questions for me. I'll PM him.

John

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.