Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

What percent of work do you perform on your Goldwing?

• >95-100%, Avoid shop at all cost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 76-95 .

• 51-75 . Wannabe Mech

• 11-25%.

• 1-10% . Enjoys keeping clean

• Zero. See's money as no object

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Many of us hereperform maintenance on our GW a little or a lot.

Working on aGW can be a real challenge in comparison to other bikes, and our knowledge, skill, and abilitieswill vary andaffect our decision to DITY or put them in the shop for service.

Being GWs', our tolerance levelwill vary to either use a hammer as an all purpose tool that only ends up destruction:bash2: :doh::headbanger:to where we should use a full service shop, or one's discipline with patience to accomplish a complexjob. :goofygrin: :cooler:

I am pretty much do all my own maintenance on everything except for tires.

I will envy ya'll with newer bikes with a warranty.

How much work is performed by the shop vs you.

Poll to run 14 days.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

I'm with you on the tires, though I have been thinking of getting one of those Harbor Freight tire changing rigs. About the only stuff I would think of taking the trike in for would be something that needed (most likely expensive) dedicated tools to repair. Not about to try a clutch on the Wing. Don't have the stuff to split the engine. I have had the rear end of the trike apart, but it is a simple Pinto diff, not the drive from the 2 wheeler.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

I don't do tires anymore.

It just isn't the fun it used to be. :(

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

What would be interesting is to break that do-it -yourself poll into the different GL categories (1000-1200, 1500, 1800) and see how the results are. Those 1800's have alot of plastic to remove before you can even get at what needs to be fixed. Or does it just appear that way?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I've tried to do everything, in fact getting my cx and the wing were in part because I wanted to learn to work on my mechanical skills . . . and I have been given plenty of opportunity. I've done starters, some wiring, brakes,changing forks, valve adjustments, timing belts, ignition switch, and other minor things.
Next up for me is carb balancing.
I don't do tires either, but the guy who owns the old bike repair shop in town will change my tires for just the cost of the tire so I haven't had the incentive yet.
I've got to say that I have enjoyed most of it, but I haven't had to rebuild a carb yet!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

So far I've done everything my 1200 needed. Right now money is an issue with the economy in the pits.

I would like to find a 1200 engine one day that is affordable and have it to sit on a bench to tinker with and get ready for the day my engine goes south. (Now that I think about that saying, where would it go, I'm in Florida. Maybe Cuba?)

I take pleasure in being able to work on my bike. Even when I have the spending money, it's fun doing the things I want to do.

Now if I had a new 1800 and the money, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Never pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free....

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have been doing most routing work on my gl1100 myself (with the help of two friends who have better eyes and smaller hands). On the GL1800 I have a great service plan and warranty so other than air in the tires and checking fluids it will be a while before I do much personnally on that bike. I never thought I would enjoy ding the owrk but I find that putting the 1100 on the lift and working on it to be enjoyable. I find that it is theraputic. Why just this last summer when I got frustrated in trying to remount the radiator on the 1100 I went to the dealer and bought the 1800. I felt much better afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I like to wait and do the tires in clusters. If I've only got a few to change I'll see if others I ride with are in need. I find the GLs easier to work on than say my CBR. The only thing about doing all my own work is somethimes getting interupted can cause a simple few hour job to turn into a few weekends

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the local stearlership won't touch my two wings... partly because I won't let them, and partly because their policy is to NOT work on older bikes

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Like many of the rest of you, I do everything but mount and balance tires. Even there, I take the wheels off and take them in for changing. I just want to know that everything is done right.

Joe

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

well i have my 1200 back in the stable now so i can say i've done all the work on both wings and al my other bikes except tires

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Maintenance isn't covered by warranty anyway. It pays to know how your bike fits together, and how to get to everything on it. As a rule, I don't trust anyone to work on my bike and be as careful with it as I am. To them, it's just a bike, to me, it's my bike!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I do my own work, except mounting and balancing tires.

:12red:

Dean

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Don't do tires either.Get them shipped to my work and the bike mech does them for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.