Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
To each, his own. Had them for years. Don't have them anymore. Times and people change.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
Probably the leading cause for people (non riders) hating motorcycles.
I really can't see an "up" side to loud exhausts. Any argument for them can easily be debunked.

And it's not, "to each his own", it's disturbing the peace, plain and simple.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not my thing. I'll pass on the pipes. When I ride in a group with loud pipes, they ride behind the Wings to make it tolerable for us. Sorry, I do not want to wear custom ear plugs when riding.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
When I ride in a group with loud pipes, they ride behind the Wings to make it tolerable for us.
Most groups/herds/packs/etc of Hardly Ableson riders do the same.:surprise:

·
Registered
155 Posts
And it's not, "to each his own", it's disturbing the peace, plain and simple.
As long as it's during reasonable hours (which I define as 8 AM -10 PM) then I respectfully disagree with you about it being disturbing of the peace. You may not like the way a biker takes off and winds his bike out with the pipes but that doesn't mean its disturbing everybody else. Can it disturb others??? Most assuredly but it's not the pipes doing the disturbing but the rider him/her self. So it really is a matter of "to each their own".

·
Magic Moderator
4,567 Posts
I'll bet you take this same poll on an HD forum and you'll get a different answer.
I had 3 HDs before the Wing and none of them were loud and obnoxious and irritated the neighbors.
I had a 1982 Chevy S-10 with a hole in the muffler for that and it also kept the mosquito population down.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
All loud pipes are good for is to say "look at me, I'm a bad a$$".

BTW, the poll won't let me vote.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Totally Useless

All loud pipes are good for is to say "look at me, I'm a bad a$$".

BTW, the poll won't let me vote.
if they are behind you, they are useless.

if they are coming at you, they are useless.

all they are good for, is to irritate the hell out of someone who is standing still, or riding/driving right beside those damn abominable things. :frown2:

oh, the toll will NOT accept a marker to make a vote.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I was young and rode a Harley I liked loud pipes. Now that I am older and ride a Goldwing I find them very annoying. I can,t change the past .(wish I could.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received a complement on my quiet bike yesterday. The public really doesn't like load pipes, and frankly, when I am sitting on the deck, with a house and 300 feet of forest between me and the road, and I here a group go by, I don't like them either. I does sound 'motorcycle' but, as was said above, times are (have) changing.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
What you don't have in quality, make up for in quantity.
Music and bikes. If it's crap, crank it up.

·
Magic Moderator
4,567 Posts
Half the fun I had with my Wing trike was sneaking up behind people lolly-gagging in the Walmart parking lot and not paying attention to their surroundings and blasting the air horn and scattering the lolly-gaggers like the red sea. You'd have thought they were running from an 18 wheeler.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like loud pipes but not obnoxious pipes. Vance and Hines/ Kerker are good but not the holler straight pipes.... thats obnoxious...

Reactions: 52wingnut

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
My son rode his neighbor's hardley up here yesterday, he talked real loud the whole time he was here because of being deafened by the thing.

Looking at the results of the poll (that I still can't vote in) more than 2x are annoyed by loud pipes, gives me some faith in humanity. The rest are still clinging to that "loud pipes save lives" nonsense.

Reactions: jhngardner367
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.